• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just don't get the love for OOTS

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I'm not looking to be convinced it's "good", but I'd be interested to hear some rationale about the love...

What rationale? You may like it, you may not. Maybe it works with your sense of humor, maybe it doesn't. If you don't like it, there's no point in us "rationalizing" why we do.

I've been reading it a long time and I have found it wonderfully entertaining the whole time. You apparently don't. No matter.

First, as others have said, don't try and judge OoTS by random episodes. Especially for the past year or so, they just won't be very good without a context. Start and read straight through. If you start at the very beginning, there will be a number of "joke" strips before you get into the main plot. To start out on an early story arc, try here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html To start out on the really big, world defining story arc, try start here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0272.html I personally started getting into the strip around #439, the "Sexy, shoeless god of war" strip posted above.

If you can't get past the art style or the way the story can get sidetracked (really really badly), you'll probably never like the strip. But if you focus on the jokes (make sure to read the names of the individual strips) and characters, you'll probably learn to like it a lot.

I will also admit that the strip has been losing my interest. I've been hanging on for a year to get the main plot back on track, and I'm still waiting. The random intervals between strips has also started to affect my interest (this is caused by the author's medical problems - but its still a pain in the ass). And the server problems are far too numerous at this point for me to say that they aren't a hinderance to enjoyment. I'm starting to think that a good plan right now is to just ignore the strip for six months, then come back and read it through in one fell swoop. It's also a perfect time to go and re-read the early strips, or to buy the book.

Gryffyn

First Post
If you don't like it, you don't like it. No big deal. Not everyone will like everything, as should be apparent from reading any Internet forum.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think that OotS have evolved over the years to be a very different sort of strip than it started as. When I first read it, it was a funny comic about the rules and situations involving 3.5 D&D. Rich has been playing D&D for a long time, and has a sense of history that worked into the strip as well.

After the initial dungeon adventure was over, the strip sort of changed, and has gradually become deeper and more interesting. This is the part where I think you tend to see more controversy with it, since it has started to become more about characters and story than teh funnay.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed this transition, and really appreciate what Rich has been able to do with such simple art. I think he's done just about the best job of describing alignment and the afterlife in D&D terms that I've ever seen, and some of the storylines have been genuinely moving. Obviously that's just my opinion, but the fact that I was genuinely moved by a comic with stick-figure art tells you how much I enjoy it.

--Steve

Aus_Snow

First Post
I've found some of it really damn funny. Other bits, not so much. So, uh, like a lot of comic strips, including webcomics. Like say, DM of the Rings. They vary.

But I don't really see this 'fanboyism' you spoke of. Um, some folks like it. And they post about it. Uh. . . and that's it. There's nothing and nobody demanding that you like it, or even read it. So what's the issue at hand again - especially considering you have stated that you don't want to be convinced that it's good?

Korgoth

First Post
I guess I'm an ex-fan. I liked it when I thought it was about poking fun at the humorous implications of D&D tropes. I stopped liking it when I came to the conclusion that it was just an extended rant against "Lawful Good" and the point of view that implies.

I don't like showing up for a comedy skit and being treated to a propaganda film. But then, I could say that about many of the things that pass for geek comedy.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't get the love for most Manga and Anime; for that matter, Shows like Dancing with the Stars and Survivor's popularity are mysteries to me. It's the same phenomenon - there's gotta be SOMETHING there that recommends itself to others; it's just not there for me.

For me, in addition to having some fun one-liners from time to time, it also has brought about more than one discussion of morality, alignments in-game, and resolutions of plot lines in the story - all of which has brought out people to interact and share their interests. In my estimation, Just the fact of having something thought-provoking in such a silly little stick-figure comic is a testament to Rich Burlew's skill at telling a story.

Korgoth said:
when I came to the conclusion that it was just an extended rant against "Lawful Good" and the point of view that implies.

I really never saw it that way, because you have a very good example of "Lawful Good" in the comic, too, in the form of Hinjo, and I would almost say Elan, lately, given how he's grown as a character and what he's had to face. I think the silly aspects of Elan blind people to his really strong sense of Right and Wrong and his lack of fear in doing something about it. He was more Chaotic Good, but lately his taking on responsibilities and sticking to his beliefs make me think he's becoming more like Neutral Good to Lawful Good.

Last edited:

Did you read the first sentence of my post? :hmm:

Probably more a larger percentage then you of OotS, if that can count as a defense.
I blame my glasses that I missed that. :blush:

But indeed, the correct question is: Did you read enough?

I don't know. Not everyone has to like it. I can just tell that I came for the laughs and stayed for the characters. ;)

Korgoth said:
I guess I'm an ex-fan. I liked it when I thought it was about poking fun at the humorous implications of D&D tropes. I stopped liking it when I came to the conclusion that it was just an extended rant against "Lawful Good" and the point of view that implies.
I think that rant is long over now... ;)

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
I don't get the love for most Manga and Anime; for that matter, Shows like Dancing with the Stars and Survivor's popularity are mysteries to me. It's the same phenomenon - there's gotta be SOMETHING there that recommends itself to others; it's just not there for me.

Henry beat me to it. Different strokes and all. I see a whole lot of things that some people think is the cat's meow that I don't see the appeal in.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the comic, myself. I don't look forward to each new comic as soon as it comes out, I read it for something to read when I remember to catch up every once in a while (which is how I read all the webcomics I follow).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads