I just GMed my 3 year old for the first time!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Well, after a rather slow week adventure-wise (thanks to me having a nasty cold), we revved things back up yesterday. Our latest adventure included:

• A missing dragon egg
  • A friendly monster wizard
  • Magic item creation
  • A less friendly monster who demanded payment for his help
  • A talking skeleton
  • Diamonds, both big and small
  • A friendly, talking frog
  • A friendly, talking parrot
  • Two very unfriendly giant rats
  • A magical chest full of eggs
  • COMBAT!

I learned a few more things about the inner workings of the mind of the average 3 year old adventuress this outing.

First, she is an awesome roleplayer and puzzle solver. She always looks at and talks to the NPC in question rather than at daddy who is doing the voices. And she asks questions without being prompted, "Where can I find your egg?" "Where does the Wizard-Monster live?" and such. She is pretty good at deduction without too much prompting and, for example, when she was told that the "Bird has the big diamond ring", she figured out that our birdhouse would be a good place to look for him.

But I've discovered that linnear adventures are still the way to go now. She started to get confused when I left the order of events open for her to decide. She was always focused on what was supposed to be her "next" destination rather than being able to leave a thread and return to it later. So I think I'll try to stick to a more straightforward adventure format for a while longer.

And I've also found that she LOVES "combat". This was easily her favorite part of the adventure and she was very much into the spirit of it.

She had to enter a dungeon (our basement) and liberate a chest full of stolen eggs that the Egg Rats had taken. She was told in advance that each rat had a weakness: One was very "sneezy" and the other was afraid of music. Therefore she had obtained a small bottle of "sneezing powder" (glitter) and a whistle before entering the dungeon.

I grabbed one of the rats (these are stuffed critters about as big a a pillow) and began coming toward her in a menacing manner with it. I've seldom seen her scramble so fast as she doffed her backpack and pulled out her sneezing powder. With the first rat incapacitated by sneezing, the other began to close on her ("Rowr! Rowr!") and, in a blind panic, she dumped the entire contents of the backpack on the floor to find her whistle. She literally dove onto the floor to recover the whistle and blew it loudly, scaring away the other rat.

Then, apparently wishing to take no chances and also apparently having a bit of a sadistic streak, she doused the first rat with at least three more doses of sneezing powder ("WA-choo! WA-choo!"), giggling uncontrollably the whole time. It was only then that she set about recovering the eggs and returning them to their rightful owners.

What I hadn't expected was how magnanimous she would be in victory. She specifically returned the eggs belonging to the Dragon and Parrot respectively. But then she said she would give all the others back to the Egg Rats "so they would have something to eat for breakfast."

What do you call that? Chaotic Neutral? I suppose I should have expected nothing else from The Human Id. ;) Regardless, she said that making the rat sneeze was her favorite part of the adventure and fell into giggling again when retelling that part to Mommy.

I think I'm going to hold off for now on my "campaign" idea. That requires a bit more forethought than I want to invest right now and I'm learning that I can whip one of these together in 10-15 minutes. But I do think I'll add in a couple recurring characters so she'll be able to start relying upon them as touchstones.

I'll let you now how it goes.

Woas

First Post
die_kluge said:
Hate to sidetrack the thread, but Woas - what the HECK is the meaning of your signature? What game is that from?

Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of this thread ^_^

CombatWombat is correct. It is from the NES game Star Tropics. It has been so long since I played the game, I forget exactly the context of the screen shot however. I wanna say it's in the very beginning and that old guy is your grandfather or something... but could be totally wrong there. Anyway, back on topic! :)

sfedi

First Post
Hi!
This thread is AWESOME!

A while ago I played a LARP with my two nephews, a 5 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. The difference in age made a huge handicap for me to make an adventure.

But... the first adventure was to recover three items from the lair of a sleeping monster (me). My lair was the yard, and they had to enter it from a door.
I put a broom at the side of the door.
One of the items was near the door. They quickly grabbed it and cheerfully returned ir to their father.
The next one was half-way between me and the door.
The boy wouldn't get near the monster (he was actually afraid of me when I was in character) so his brave older sister got near and handed the item to him, after some search. This revealed to them that getting near the monster could wake him up...
The last item was right beside me.
The older sister tried to approach silently, but I begun to awake, so she quickly backed up, and I felt asleep again... (if only my players got clues so well...).
After thinknig a while, they decided to use the groom to get the item, so they could have a head start to their father, in case thing went bad.
(their father was a safe place to go, since the monster couldn't approach him)
So they skillfully took tha last item. I fudged, to have a more exciting ending, and woke up after they got the item, and chased them all the way up to the father.

The experience was AWESOME, unbelievable fun.

We repeated the game, this time a little more difficult, all items where hidden in different places and the little one got a Cloak of Invisibility, so that he could enter the yard (he wouldn't dare otherwise).
The funny thing was that at some point they awakened the monster and when I started to chase the girl (who was the only one visible) she grabbed the cloak of her brother leaving him visible and escaped!
Hahahahah!!

Boy: Neutral Good Rogue 0
Girl: Chaotic Neutral Rogue 4

Another thing I did, which I recommend is Alarm Traps.

Have some item/treasure to be pinned down by a bell or something noisy.
And have a monster nearby (or whatever).

CronoDekar

First Post
This thread is one of the best and cutest threads I've seen in a long time. Thanks guys for sharing all of your experiences!

(And hopefully the last Startropics off-topic thing: that's your uncle in Ch6 who you had been searching for for the entire game previous. The "bananas in your ears" thing was just some weird thing Mike, the main char did -- there's a picture of him doing it after you beat the game. Yes, I was a big Startropics fan.)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Robbert Raets said:
Mr. Rel, that story hour is hilarious! And your daughter is a real smartwun, by the looks of it.

Why thank you Mr. Raets. Shall I mark you down in the "Unholy Fan" column? ;)

Remove ads