• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just Got A Laptop DMs please help!

questionmark

First Post
Hello,

I just got a laptop and would like to intigrate it into my DMing. My main goals are to increase my orginisation, streamline things and reduce my use of scratch paper. I am not really sure where to start. Is there a review site of the current tools being used? What are any of you other DMs using out there? I am running a 3.5 FRCS gestalt Campaign. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

?

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Chris Tavares said:
Go grab the Ten Foot Wiki at http://www.unclebear.com/tenfootwiki/. It's a great self-contained wiki (local machine only, no server) which lets you organize your notes and whatnot very easily.

It's really just a somewhat poorly edited GTD-style TiddlyWiki. I think he would be better off checking for other TiddlyWiki style sheets that are easier on the eyes.

The Levitator

First Post
I wouldn't even run 3.5 without DM Genie . It has more features than any other piece of software out there. It has a combat manager, campaign manager, timekeeper, weather generator and a lot more. I could write a paragraph on any one of these tools. I have not found anything that comes even remotely close. It's the best $35 I ever spent. It has a fully functional free trial and a great user community. If you end up taking it for a test drive, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help you learn the ropes. I have fully customized my game to include more than a half dozen variants which DM Genie tracks for me automatically. There is also a ton of user content out there that allows you to use all of your splatbooks right in DM Genie.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Remember that it has an off button and it can be closed.

Laptops are great when they help. When you begin looking for ways to make it help between sessions? Great.

When you start looking for way to make it help during the game? That's the time to close the lid.

The Levitator

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Remember that it has an off button and it can be closed.

Laptops are great when they help. When you begin looking for ways to make it help between sessions? Great.

When you start looking for way to make it help during the game? That's the time to close the lid.

To each his own I guess. I consider myself to be a very good DM with a long-running tabletop group and a large online group. I use a laptop during my entire session and I run an engaging and entertaining game according to all of my players. I don't really think it's fair to make broad assumptions about those who use methods different from your own. I run a very immersive and roleplay heavy game, and thanks to the tools that I use to manage the game, combat is exponentially faster and the game itself is more accurate.

Just because some people lack the ability to use a laptop effectively at the game table doesn't mean it's a bad idea for everyone. I personally feel that you've given bad advice. It amazes me somewhat that some people see such a huge difference between looking at a notebook and looking at a laptop. The tools should be just that; tools. The real magic of roleplaying is the cooperative story that emerges between DM and players. The tools you choose to use shouldn't affect that.

I for one am thankful for the technology that has come along over the years to improve my gaming. I started DM'ing in 1983, and I enjoy prepping for games much more now than I did then.

To the OP, I hope you don't let this kind of negative bias discourage your search to find the right tools that will help you improve your game.

Oryan77

Adventurer
When I got my first laptop I installed Winamp and began playing background music for my group. I love that feature. My players seem to like background music a lot also.

I use Excel to keep track of my notes and campaign info. I have charts for encounters and equipment/magic items that I can reference in Excel.

I would also suggest downloading one of the Encounter Calculators. I use one in just about every session. It's really helpful to use when a player doesn't show up and I need to quickly figure out how I can adjust an encounter to make sure it's still balanced at the challenge rating I need for the smaller group.

The biggest advantage I got to owning a laptop was being able to view my D&D pdf books on it. Even if I'm on vacation or I'm in public waiting for whatever; I can read any of my D&D books without having to have the actual book with me :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads