• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I just got back from the Two Towers

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Consider this to be as much of a spoiler warning as you can get. I assume that the majority of the posters to these boards have read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. However, certain scenes may be described in detail, and it is probably best to go into this sort of movie without knowing the fine details. Consider your selves warned.

I must say that this movie was excellent. Golum was very convincing, and very insane. The battle of deeping guard (I cannot remember the exact name?) was handled perfectly. The humor was where it needed to be.

Hell, even the opening sequence with Gandalf stabbing at the Balrog even as they fell was excellent.

Anyway, I doubt that anyone is really going to much complain about the movie, though some may be disappointed that the fight with the spider creature was nto at the end of the movie (It appears that they are saving that for the opening part of the final movie).

END COMMUNICATION

Dragongirl

First Post
Should go in the movie forum. :)

I will just say that I was disappointed with how much Jackson differed from the book. BUT the movie itself was excellent. The Gollum animation was beyond excellent.

Not really sure why we have this second thread, but as I stated in the bigger, longer thread, I really don't understand these complaints of "massacreing" the book for the movie. It seems to me that the Two Towers follows the book more closely than Fellowship did.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I saw Two Towers and loved it. I suggest if you want to have a good time at the movie DO NOT go with someone who read the freaking books 14 times.

Sure there were liberties taken from the book. We finally got a decent fantasy movie made and now all the fanboys will pop up hating Peter Jackson and wanting to sacrifice him and his family for what he did with the movie.

If you memorized the books word for word, nobody in the whole universe will ever be able to make the movie to your standards except for your own imagination. So sit down shut up and watch the movie and be glad this wasn't made by George Lucas :p

Bastoche

First Post
I read the book once. Therefore am not a purist and do not know the book by hearth. Four things REALLY disappointed me:

1) Gandal's horse is grey not white

2) Legolas silly acrobatics #1

3) Legolas silly acrobatics #2

4) Too many dwarf jokes. The second movie/book is supposed to be depressing, not funny. It was way too light hearthed. FOTR felt heavier than the two towers and that's my main gripe about the movie.

Besides that, it was excellent. But point #4 makes it a disapointing experience in the end.

Wicht

Hero
Hmm... I found the Two Towers far heavier in feel than the FotR.

And for what it is worth I am a Tolkien Purist and I thought the movie was great. It covered all that it could. The Dwarf Jokes were slightly over the top but I can deal with it...

The three biggest changes were

1. The banishment of Eomer. I can relate to why they did it. Story wise they needed to develop his character faster then the book allowed so they combined Eomer's role with that of another character - Erkenbrand. This allowed them to up-play the feud between Eomer and Wormtongue in a shorter span of time and fewer scenes.

2. The trip to Osgiliath. In my opinion this was unnecessary but again, I think it was a decision made by the writer to combine a couple of things, one of which is the battle at Osgiliath. Otherwise in the Return of the King those new to the story would be lost as to why Osgiliath is important and that there has been a battle there.

3. The Elves showing up at Helm's deep. In the book the elves from Elrond arrive after the battle and it is Elrond's sons who show up. I am assuming there is a story line/time constraint reason for this somewhere - I am just hoping they do not cut out "The Voice of Saruman," from the next movie - its one of my favorite chapters in the Two Towers.

Overall though a great movie, The Dead Marshes were excellent as was the plunge with the Balrog and the contest between Smeagol and Gollum.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads