• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I like being railroaded

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Zelda Themelin said:
I got old. My time for roleplaying games got shorter. So, I can't spend session after session doing some irrelevant role-playing stuff. It was fun when I got to play each and every day (or at least every second day), but now week or two can pass between sessions, and I want to remember what happened (and it's easier to remember and make notes if it's something relevant that moves plot on).

Or, alternative way is give me session of hack'slash fun.

I never liked dm's who wait hours after hours players to solve some stupid puzzle without enough clues. And I hate puzzles for players anyway, it should be characters solving them, no me.
(puzzle could simple be where to go next with).
You've just described my old Face-to-face group and my On-Line group. "Move it along! Bring on the action! Where's the cheese dip?!"

fusangite

First Post
Dr Simon said:
There is a subset of rail-roading, and that is the situation where the DM devises a trap or puzzle with only one solution (so he thinks) and then comes up with inventive ways to thwart any other plan that the players might concoct. *That* is probably more annoying and destructive than assuming that the players will take the adventure hook.

That cheeses me off beyond belief. The single best thing about D&D is that the players can use the rules to enforce a solution you had never previously considered. If you're going to do that, why play D&D?

If you find that you may as well be playing an old text-based computer adventure game "I'm sorry I don't understand", "You can't go that way", "That doesn't work", then you can be pretty sure you are being railroaded!

I'll offer an exception to that experience. I wasn't railroading anyone when I decided there were only two secret caves in a cliff face I made. But my players kept looking for more for the next 3 hours of playing time.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
I'll offer an exception to that experience. I wasn't railroading anyone when I decided there were only two secret caves in a cliff face I made. But my players kept looking for more for the next 3 hours of playing time.

Reminds me of an old Knights of the Dinner Table (something I really miss from Dragon) where the group kept on digging down a side passage because the DM wouldn't just put it there it must lead somewhere. . .And the DM said "it was just for color, come on guys." Reply being "He's trying to mislead us there must be something really good down here, keep digging." Well it went something like that.

arche

First Post
Sometimes linear is more fun and sometimes it isn't.

Ok, here seems to be the real issue: It's up to the DM to know what style of game the players want.

If the players need to be lead along, then you as a DM may need to do that. If they want open game play, then you as a DM need to be able to handle it. If you can't fit in with your players, then get another group and ask them to find new players. If you can't, then compromise with them.

I swear role playing game discussions can sometimes take a depth worse than any graduate level theology I did. To be honest, it's all about fit, personality and style. If they aren't there with a group, the group won't last and people will be unhappy.

So, if you find that your players like some leading, give it to them. Maybe open up the choices a little for your sake, but give them what they want. The players make the game, not the DM in my opinion.

Sorry, that was a rant unfortunately. I'm just a strong believer in player's rights! And yes, I am a DM currently.

Last edited:

Sir Elton

First Post
There was a Dragon Article in Dragon #293 by Robin D. Laws that allowed you to make up a campaign that could be used to lead the players by the nose or the players could control. But the campaign's design was so that the DM/GM could enjoy some structure.

The article is: "T.V. Structure: Next Week, on an all new episode of . . ."

Dr Simon

Explorer
fusangite said:

Hmm... Quote feature doesn't seem to include my text. Hopefully context will be obvious to anyone paying attention!

I would say that is more a difference in playing style, one option of which can be termed "rail-roading" but is really "moving the game forwards".

I've had similar experiences - a session the other week was basically three hours of the players working out how to get into a city occupied by enemy forces without being killed. In fact, the enemy forces were there as "peace-keepers" and the worst thing that happened to them was a lot of red-tape. (Initially...).

In your example, one could say "okay, you search for many hours and eventually you are pretty certain that the only ways in are here, and here." Or you can ask where they are going to search and run it that way. Either is valid, depending on style. Neither is rail-roading.

As for limited choice, that in itself isn't rail-roading, but it gets confused. Someone up thread mentioned the typical dungeon T-junction, and this is similar. Choices are limited - the PCs either go left, right, or back the way they came. However, they still have the choice, limited though it is. A lot of other dungeon staples are the same - pull the level, don't pull the lever (with all the spin-off possibilities - use Mage Hand to pull the lever, *push* the lever etc. etc.) Railroading would be that, no matter what the players do with the lever, the same thing happens.

*That's* the kind of subtle difference that seems to be lacking a phrase. Perhaps Menu-gaming, or something like that, to indicate that choice is finite and explicit, but still a choice nonetheless.

tec-9-7

First Post
Totally OT, but arche, I LOVE the Philosopher Action Figures! I'm still lauging about "berking up the wrong tree!" Have you seen the Epicurus the Sage graphic novels? I call them low humor for the highly educated.

arche

First Post
tec-9-7 said:
Totally OT, but arche, I LOVE the Philosopher Action Figures! I'm still lauging about "berking up the wrong tree!" Have you seen the Epicurus the Sage graphic novels? I call them low humor for the highly educated.

No, I've never seen Epicurus the Sage. My favorite action figure is Ferocious Frege.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads