• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) I like the new Warlock

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That’s fair. I like the term Channel Patron myself, but I admit it’s kind of at odds with the idea that the warlock’s powers might come from a variety of sources, which is an idea I’m very fond of.
Yeah, for me, I’ve alway considered the spells to not come from any patron, but rather are things the warlock has learned how todo, shortcuts they’ve found, etc.

Of course if it were me warlocks would have ritual casting automatically and better than anyone but wizards.

What’s funny about the weird 1/2+ casting model here, is that it’s what I’m looking to do to the artificer with infusions. But artificers aren’t Mages, and doing so doesn’t take anything away from them.
And again, WOTC HAS SAID THIS IS THE FEEDBACK THEY'RE GETTING.
good for them?

Meanwhile, it’s useful to investigate why, and what can be done to fix it that doesn’t fit the distinctiveness of a class.

Like shortening short rests, or changing the recharge to an action or a 1 minute ritual that can be done during a short rest without interrupting the rest, but can also just be done whenever.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
One thing I do like about the playtest class is that Patron spells are added to your prepared spells, not just to your spell list. That feels like something that should have been the case from the start.
I agree, it was a source of confusion when other classes like the cleric and paladin had their spells prepared but the warlock was only able to potentiality select them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Half my characters are warlocks and I am very excited to try this version out. I run a game where all five characters are warlocks, and the players have all expressed excitement. Warlock fans on this board seem to be mostly negative. That doesn't equate to all warlock fans.
Yeah, this makes sense to me. I bet thst WotC got a lot of feedback from Warlock players asking for something like this, and now we'll see how it plays out

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
good for them?

Meanwhile, it’s useful to investigate why, and what can be done to fix it that doesn’t fit the distinctiveness of a class.

Like shortening short rests, or changing the recharge to an action or a 1 minute ritual that can be done during a short rest without interrupting the rest, but can also just be done whenever.
They don't seem interested in shortening rests since that's the sort of fundamental game change that they don't seem to want to do with this update as it imposes compatibility issues.

Changing the recharge to an action throws balance off because now you can nova all spells during a single encounter, and then do it again, and in theory even a third time during the same encounter.

The 1 minute ritual however could work and is an interesting thought. Perhaps you could do a 1 minute ritual to recover your spell slots Prof Bonus times per day?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They don't seem interested in shortening rests since that's the sort of fundamental game change that they don't seem to want to do with this update as it imposes compatibility issues.
The change to warlocks is a bigger deal than shortening short rests would be.
Changing the recharge to an action throws balance off because now you can nova all spells during a single encounter, and then do it again, and in theory even a third time during the same encounter.

The 1 minute ritual however could work and is an interesting thought. Perhaps you could do a 1 minute ritual to recover your spell slots Prof Bonus times per day?
That’s how I handle short rest classes, yeah.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
The change to warlocks is a bigger deal than shortening short rests would be.
Yea, I can't see how making short rests easier would really impact balance, unless they were made too easy and parties started taking 7-8 a day or something like that.

I mean, the assumed balance is 2 short rests before a long rest; the real balance issue is that most people don't actually do that because short rests are too fiddly.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
wow... so we played wrong... not we have different experience, but our DM was bad... the lengths some of yall will go through.
I didn't say or imply your DM was "bad" I said they were going easy on you. That's not a judgement.

Nor was this an "experience" topic since what I said was the published adventures as they are written often make it hard to rest. That's a factual question, not an experience question which depends on how your DM decides to alter the adventure.

I just repeated word for word what's in the adventure. That there are monsters who attack when you rest: specifically when you rest. That there are supposed to be wandering monster checks very often, with odds so high it's next to impossible to rest without triggering a wandering monster encounter.

It's not "bad" to simply not run those things. But I mentioned the adventures WOTC published often makes it hard to get a short rest, and you responded you didn't find that with that adventure, and so I am using the text of the adventure to explain why I said that. If your DM changed the adventure to make it easier to rest, then your reply doesn't really refute what I said about the adventure that was published, does it?

I mean, do you really think it's unfair of me to explain why I said that adventure makes it hard to rest after you told me it was easy to rest in that adventure?

Remove ads