D&D 3E/3.5 I love 3E. I love 4E. I'm mad!

ThirdWizard

First Post
1) It's the internet. Taking a reasonable position only undermines your ability to argue endlessly.

2) 4e is shiny and new (not even out yet). 3e is old and worn in. You remember Toy Story.

shilsen

Adventurer
Wisdom Penalty said:
Anyone else out there both: (a) really, really like 3E, and (b) really, really look forward to 4E?

As the previous posters have noted, I don't think that's an untenable position at all. Personally, I really liked 3e, I like 3.5e even more, and have tweaked it to fit my tastes so I would be very happy to run it for the next 10 years. But 4e sounds like it does a lot of the stuff I want to, so I'm very interested in checking it out and will probably eventually switch to it (after some time cannibalizing material for my 3.5e games).

JahellTheBard

First Post
3e is old and worn in.

New is not always better ... despite few problems, i like 3.5 ed. .. i feel the idea that anything became suddenly bad just because there is a new release to sell, is not nice ( see Microsoft..) ..

ThirdWizard

First Post
JahellTheBard said:
New is not always better ... despite few problems, i like 3.5 ed. .. i feel the idea that anything became suddenly bad just because there is a new release to sell, is not nice ( see Microsoft..) ..

Yes, but new and shiny is going to be more interesting when it first comes out. I will always go back to Planescape: Torment occasionally because its a cool rad game, but when Neverwinter Nights was new I wasn't thinking about Torment. Same with the Elder Scrolls IV overshadowing Elder Scrolls III, even though III is still a great game. But, when the new shiny games come out, I get excited and rush out in anticipation to play them.

So its not that 3e is bad, its just that new things inevitably lead to this kind of thing, I think.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I've enjoyed playing 3.x. If I have to opportunity to play in a group using those rules, I will.

I'm interested in 4e. If I have an opportunity to play in a group using those rules, I will.

I'm sure after trying out 4e, I will find I have a personal preference, but my biggest preference is to play D&D, so I wouldn't turn down a game just because they use one ruleset or the other.

Sphyre

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
1) It's the internet. Taking a reasonable position only undermines your ability to argue endlessly.

Oddly enough, that's exactly why I take a reasonable position.

*gets booted off the internet for blasphemy*

Keenath

Explorer
Wisdom Penalty said:
Anyone else out there both: (a) really, really like 3E, and (b) really, really look forward to 4E?
It's not madness at all, and I suspect there are many people who totally agree with you (and me).

It's not a black and white situation. You aren't required to hate vanilla if you like chocolate. And while 4e excites me because it seems like a lot of things I disliked are being fixed and a lot of the new elements are pretty cool, those elements I disliked aren't enough to make me throw away my 3.x books. They're just pitfalls I have to be aware of.

I really don't understand why there's even a question about this. Who decided that 3e and 4e were mutually exclusive? From what I've heard, the "pro-4e" side is composed to many people who love 3e and a minority who didn't.

Liking things doesn't require exclusivity.

3.5 is not inherently bad...

I switched to 3.0 as soon as it appeared, because of the new options it gave to the players. Everything sounded new and fun, and it actually is. But there are some holes in the rules which call for a new edition.

Most important for me: game preperation time and dependance on magic.

Do we need to switch? No!

Do I want to switch? Yes!

Sitara

Explorer
I agree, nothing wrong with liking both. Or all editions of dnd. However,
There are two major flaws in 3E-3.5E:

1)Overemphasis on magic items and equipment to the point that monsters and challenges have built in preseumptions that pc' will have certain magical items when they face the monsters. This forces gm's to hand out disgustingly large amounts of treasure.

2)Too few feats. Way, way too few feats. problem is, you can't really increase feats to say, 1 every odd level or 1 every even level (like SAGA) without completely invalidating OR completely overpowering the fighter class.

Vayden

First Post
3.x was a great game, and I had a lot of fun with it. But to be honest, I was getting a little tired of it last year. Even before the 4E announcement, we were poking around, playing with Iron Heroes, old White Wolf stuff, etc. I'm in 3 games a week, so there was always 3.x going on somewhere (and still is in one group), but I was getting a little tired of it before 4E for the usual reasons, and now that 4E is announced, I can't wait. :)

Remove ads