I love D&D.....but.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
This is hard to write. I may have to break up with D&D. Maybe I don't love it anymore. Perhaps I never loved it. I think this because every time I think of the rules, they bother me. Like initiative, I use it but what choice do I have? Six second rounds eww. High level world changing spells and multiple planes of existence aren't my cup of tea and never were.

The rules for each edition were slightly/heavily modified rules taken from a previous game. Sometimes they were easier to use or understand, sometimes not. As a result, they are simulacra or perhaps more accurately an eidolon. (See what I did there?) I feel like today's D&D is a bit like heavily processed food. After a while I kinda crave something a little less processed. If they built a game from scratch to simulate(?) fantasy heroism(adventuring) I doubt it would resemble D&D. I understand why WotC wouldn't do that though. I will definitely still play, because people play it, also I can and do still love the following.

Swords and armor
Magic and Fantasy
Heroism and adventuring
Pretending
Dice
Solving puzzles and riddles
Scenarios
Miniatures
Worldbuilding
Monsters and characters from the various fantasy creators especially ones from or adjacent to D&D.

And I can find all of that in D&D and I haven't found or made a replacement.

So I am right back where I started.

Am I alone in this sentiment? Is this a symptom of being a player of rpgs? Is there a cure? Must I endure this sense of wrongness? Should I seek professioal help?

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It sounds to me that you need to explore other systems. Look into Gurps. Or maybe Warhammer frpg (I recommend the second edition... and you don't *have* to use them to play the setting, they can work in a generic gritty/low magic setting too). Or some other system. Or heck, try a sci fi game for a while.

Variety is good. D&D isn't a cult. You can step away for a while, or even forever.

ccs

41st lv DM
This is hard to write. I may have to break up with D&D. Maybe I don't love it anymore. Perhaps I never loved it. I think this because every time I think of the rules, they bother me. Like initiative, I use it but what choice do I have? Six second rounds eww. High level world changing spells and multiple planes of existence aren't my cup of tea and never were.

The rules for each edition were slightly/heavily modified rules taken from a previous game. Sometimes they were easier to use or understand, sometimes not. As a result, they are simulacra or perhaps more accurately an eidolon. (See what I did there?) I feel like today's D&D is a bit like heavily processed food. After a while I kinda crave something a little less processed. If they built a game from scratch to simulate(?) fantasy heroism(adventuring) I doubt it would resemble D&D. I understand why WotC wouldn't do that though. I will definitely still play, because people play it, also I can and do still love the following.

Swords and armor
Magic and Fantasy
Heroism and adventuring
Pretending
Dice
Solving puzzles and riddles
Scenarios
Miniatures
Worldbuilding
Monsters and characters from the various fantasy creators especially ones from or adjacent to D&D.

And I can find all of that in D&D and I haven't found or made a replacement.

So I am right back where I started.

Am I alone in this sentiment? Is this a symptom of being a player of rpgs? Is there a cure? Must I endure this sense of wrongness? Should I seek professioal help?

I notice you don't mention the people you play with in that list of things you love.

Afrodyte

Explorer
Maybe it's just time for a change of pace, at least for a while. I highly recommend FATE and FATE Accelerated for what you're looking for. The rules are a lot more streamlined, and you have more leeway in how you define your character. It's really easy to port over the information from your favorite fantasy setting and translate it into FATE rules.

I have felt this at times, it usually results in me tinkering with the rules, but I also seem to drop them after a while.

I currently DM one game which allows me to have the feel I like to play. The other game I currently play in I have the same issues - magic gets given away in droves and I don't enjoy the feel very much, but I then think if I drop out then I only DM. Plus it is a chance to see these friends on a regular basis.

Sometimes the type of game I like to play is influence by what I have just read or currently reading as well.

I would consider taking a look at Savage Worlds. It is a generic RPG system which emphasizes speed of play and reduced preparation time. There is a Savage Worlds Fantasy Companion as well as numerous published settings in many genres. Probably the fantasy setting with the most setting support is Hellfrost. The world is slowly being overtaken by ice. Beasts and Barbarians offers a more Conan-esque setting. Sundered Skies is a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting in which the world exploded and everyone is forced to live on floating islands and travel by airship. There are several others worth exploring.

It's also possible you may just need a break from RPGs. I have taken several breaks. The longest one lasted for two years. Usually I find 5-6 months is sufficient though and I start getting the urge to play again.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
D&D isn't a cult. You can step away for a while, or even forever.

You have offended the Great and Powerful Gygax! REPENT!!!

I kid, of course. The others nailed it, Wiseblood. Take a break from D&D to try other RPGs, or even step away from the hobby for a while. If/when you come back, it will probably still be here.

Li Shenron

Legend

RPGs suffer from this odd thing by which their players think too much and feel entitled to see all that's "wrong" with the game. They all would know better how the game should be, and often spend hours rewriting the rules or the entire system and then brag about it, instead of shut up and play yer game.

If you are tired AND you are actually playing the game regularly, just take a break and try another game.

OTOH if you're not playing much, chances are that you simply are over thinking.

Remove ads