I love Masterplan

ragingpeanuts

First Post
Masterplan is awesome!

Why isn't wotc doing something like this? I love the fact that I can bring my plot easily into schematics, sorting out plans, or just scribling down my thoughts in the info-space.

Thank you, guys who make masterplan!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: Masterplan

It's a program to build your campaign with. I'm just beginning to use it, but it works like a charm and helps me a lot in planning out my campaign.

DNH

First Post
I have been using Masterplan for many months now and it has been getting better with every version number. I don't actually use it for *running* games but it is eminently capable of doing so, keeping track of combats and battlemaps and effects and everything. I like it very much for the campaign planning aspect, which allows me to see where my players' characters are going to be and when (xp-wise) and what my options are at that point. Excellent stuff.

Raddu

Explorer
I like Masterplan a lot. THe last few sessions I've been running combats with it. It's great, but it's got a huge memory leak. It was running at 1.1 gb the other day.

I'm thinking it might be the maps, I had a lot of overlays and a lot of tokens on the map. Anyway, thinking of going back to minis/tiles, while still using the combat tracker.

(Love your sig DNH, Mystara 4e does make sense)

Obryn

Hero
I use it for pretty much everything these days, from session planning to session running. The combat tracking function is pretty awesome; it removes a lot of the math burden from me and lets me focus on running a smooth game. Also, frankly, the fact that it rolls all my initiatives is another huge time-saver, as is the quick ability to view monster stats.

I ran without it for a few weeks and felt naked. :)

-O

Rydac

Explorer
Another big YES for this fantastic program....I'm using it for planning as well
as in combat. Too bad Wizards hasn't just licensed this for making them a campaign/game management software

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I downloaded Masterplan when I first got into DMing in mid 2010, when a DDI subscription would let you download all of the content. After I heard about the Cease and Desist, I didn't download any of the updated versions of the software as I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to access that content any more.

Can anyone let me know where things stand with Masterplan post C&D? Can I still use my DDI subscription to access monsters, treasures, traps, etc.?

Azlith

First Post
Can anyone let me know where things stand with Masterplan post C&D? Can I still use my DDI subscription to access monsters, treasures, traps, etc.?

No, the C&D is still in effect. For some time now the libraries become locked to only be used on the computer you load them on. However, you can still export monsters from the old Monster builder and import them into your libraries.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Thanks, Azlith! So, if I were to download the newer versions of Masterplan, would I still be able to access my downloaded libraries? If not, am I better off sticking with the pre-C&D version of the program, or are the later improvements good enough to justify losing integrated access to everything?

Obryn

Hero
Thanks, Azlith! So, if I were to download the newer versions of Masterplan, would I still be able to access my downloaded libraries?
Yes.

If not, am I better off sticking with the pre-C&D version of the program, or are the later improvements good enough to justify losing integrated access to everything?
I've never regretted the upgrade.

Keep your old version, too - it might come in handy - but I have had no problems updating the program while keeping my libraries intact. It's not like it works to download from the compendium anymore!

-O

Azlith

First Post
Thanks, Azlith! So, if I were to download the newer versions of Masterplan, would I still be able to access my downloaded libraries? If not, am I better off sticking with the pre-C&D version of the program, or are the later improvements good enough to justify losing integrated access to everything?

I have access to all my old libraries. I also kept an older version of the program to create libraries that I want to share with my friends, whether it be homebrew monsters or whatever. I also recommend that you back up your libraries before you upgrade, so you will have non-locked versions of them just in case you need to move MP to another computer.

Remove ads