D&D 5E I made a monster invisible to dark vision. Hilarity ensued.

I remember that rule as well, though a quick look of the DMG doesn't yield anything. It did however have a line that creatures with exceptional infravision actually are emitting eyebeams that can in turn be seen by infravision, so it looks like they have lasers shooting out of their eyes when someone else with infravision views them. I never used that rule back in the day, but I kinda love it.

Ah, yes. The days when undead couldn’t be seen by infravision!

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I freaking love this. I will be calling mine Glen Ghouls.

I have a visual in my head of all the ghouls freezing in place when the lights come on, with Scooby-Do "ruh roh" expressions.

I put in a "blank" tapestry that contained a secret message (the runes for a teleportation circle). They were concealed by being depicted in colours with indicial tonal values. Since darkvision is black and white the tapestry appeared blank.

This could work the other way - the message is depicted in tonal values but obscured by a busy image. You need to turn out the lights and view it with darkvision to read the message.

The Glen

Legend
Gaz-Thoul.png

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Grues are from Zork, creatures that fear light, but will happily snack on any adventurer that enters a dark area without a light source.

I find that parties who think they don't need light sources will quickly come to regret it after they keep running into traps and hidden enemies. A creature invisible to darkvision is amusing, but only should be a problem for the most stubborn of players.

Also, let's not forget that monsters with darkvision have good reasons to use light as well, so your Gaz-Thoul may want some other way to sense enemies or they might get surprised by the party by failing to notice their approach!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases