I made my first little new monster...

firesnakearies

Explorer
I'd like feedback, please. Mainly, I want to know if this critter is relatively "legit" as a level 3 minion, or what changes you'd make.

Fey Owl
Level 3 Minion
Small Fey Beast
XP: 38
Initiative: +9
Senses: Perception +10; darkvision
HP: 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC: 17 (and see Nimble Flyer)
Fortitude: 13
Reflex: 17 (and see Nimble Flyer)
Will: 17
Speed: 2 (clumsy), fly 10

Basic Melee Attack: Bite (standard; at-will)
+5 vs. AC; 1 damage (4 damage vs. a blinded target)

Ranged Attack Power: Eyes of the Hunt (standard; recharge 6) * Gaze
Ranged 20; +8 vs. Will; target is blinded (save ends)

Utility Power: Obfuscating Wings (standard, must be flying and move at least 8 squares, at-will) * Illusion
Gains invisibility as long as it flies at least 8 squares away from its starting square, invisibility is lost if the owl lands or attacks.

Utility Power: Evasive Flyer
As long as the owl is flying, and moves at least 8 squares away from its starting square, it gains a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex until the end of its next turn.

Alignment: Unaligned
Languages: Common, Elven
Skills: Stealth +10
Str: 5
Dex: 18
Con: 9
Int: 13
Wis: 19
Cha: 11

ricardo440

First Post
Why did you go for minion?

You have several abilities there. Most minions just don't have abilities. They have an attack and that is it.

TheNinjaD

First Post
First, I would make the creature's primary attack do more damage. I realize that you allow it to deal more damage to a blinded target (and that it is able to blind them itself) but 1 damage still seems low to me.

Eyes of the Hunt looks like it would be too much for a minion to have. The fact that it only recharges on a six does a lot to balance that out but, in my opinion, it is not enough. I would make that a melee attack and make it only blind until the end of your creature's next turn.

Also, I would get rid of the Utility Powers unless you really need them for flavor. That seem, at least to me, like far too much for a minion to have.

Alternatively, you could keep almost everything as-is (except for damage) by making this creature not a minion. In that case, I think it would be great.

Remember, though, that all of this is just my thoughts on the creature. I don't know exactly what you are going for and so some of my suggestions might seem unthinkable to you.

You're off to a good start. Keep at it.

logopolis

First Post
I agree with TheNinjaD -- this monster is more of a lurker, not a minion. If it dies in one hit, it won't have much of an opportunity to use the interesting powers you gave it. Just bump up the creature's damage, hit points and experience value according to the guidelines in the DMG, and you should be good to go.

The difficulty of the monster should be comparable to an imp, which is also a level 3 lurker.

Remove ads