I need a potion name

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Boilermaker
Liquid Death (seen on far to many spontaneous alcoholic concoctions in my university days)
Danger: Boiling Water?
A crude sketch of the poison symbol

tonym

First Post
I'll take a crack at it...

A small piece of black paper is glued to the bottle.
Written at the top of the paper, and faded to the point of being almost unnoticeable, is the word "WEAPON" in sepia ink.

Beneath that, in silver ink: "Drink water until stomache full."

A simple reminder to drink water first, to avoid potentially fatal dehydration.

:]
Tony M

Ace

Adventurer
Sialia said:
I need a really good name for a potion of scalding hot steam breath.

It needs to be made up of recognizable English words, and not entirely give away what the potion does.

It might suggest that the potion users mouth and throat will not be wholly immune to the effects.

I've been toying with "Brief Horrible Moments of Sanity," but if I were an adventurer who found a bottle labelled that, I'm not sure I'd be tempted to drink it to find out what it does.

The genre is for something set in contemporary U.S.A. So fire away with the 19th-20th-21st century idioms if you like

Send me ideas.

How about Scovilles Exlixer?

Named of course for the Scoville unit that measures the heat of peppers

It could be a basically a binary potion, the top bit super hoot enchanted pepper sauce and the bottom is elemntal water. Mix and mouth and spit for a blast of steam

Swallow it and heheheheh

Sialia

First Post
tonym said:
I'll take a crack at it...

A small piece of black paper is glued to the bottle.
Written at the top of the paper, and faded to the point of being almost unnoticeable, is the word "WEAPON" in sepia ink.

Beneath that, in silver ink: "Drink water until stomache full."

A simple reminder to drink water first, to avoid potentially fatal dehydration.

:]
Tony M

ok--that brings up an interesting point: presentation.

Presentation is half the scene.

What else can you put a potion in besides a little medicine bottle? What would be an intriguing and compelling container--try to be really unusual and creative, but limit yourself to things you might find in any typical modern office or house. So "old mayonnaise jar" is acceptable, but dull, and "skull of an orc" is right out. "Mexican Hat shaped chip-and-dip server" is not beyond the realm of possibility, but perhaps not evocative of the mood I am looking for.

kkoie

First Post
Well since you want something 'noirish' I figure this is the best and only way to present my idea/suggestion :)

It sat in the corner of some forgotten kitchen cabinet. At first my eyes passed right over it, but on a second passing I lingered. It was one of those old glass ketchup bottles, the kind you can never buy in stores anymore and only see in diners. Someone had done a poor job of scrapping off the lable. The outer part of the lable itself was all gone, but a smattering of it remained, stuck to the glue of the label. The metal cap must've been lost ages ago, for someone replaced it with one of those rubber cork like things that you attached with a metal clip. The kind your grandpa would use to keep his half druken bottle of coke from losing all of its fiz. They had taken a black market and wrote the words "Curiously Strong Salsa". But all I could see inside was a clear carbonated liquid. Seltzer??

Remove ads