I need a soundtrack for a dungeon-crawling adventure with the vibe of a cheesy 1980s fantasy movie

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Now, you also might try Loot the Body on Bandcamp... They created music for the rpg Skate Wizards...
Take inspiration for suggesting Bandcamp.

Gotta love a band that has songs named "White Plume Mountain," "Dwellers of the Forbidden City," "Castle Amber," "Tomb of Horrors," "Ravenloft" and "The Keep on the Borderlands" and an entire concept album centered around Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Most of their stuff appears to have lyrics, so not suitable for background music, IMO, but a great way to intro and close out a session, especially when playing in one of the named modules.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh, here we go. (Never saw this film.)

They've got synth, and maybe theremin. Either way, it's rockin' the cheese.

I'm hearing bits the Diablo II soundtrack might have lifted, in there. But probably not?
I think this is going to be the winner for today's game. It's a little silly while clearly trying to be a Serious Business adventure soundtrack. It's also fully available both on iTunes and YouTube.

Thanks, everyone. You all get 100 xp and the gnome wizard gives you each a 25 gold piece reward.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Good choice! That opening theme is truly glorious, isn't it? Like tumble weeds rolling through a spaghetti western, if those tumble weeds were disco balls marching to go slay a mysterious dragon with laser beams.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
The ultimate dungeon crawling metal anthem ("Riot in the Dungeons" by Yngwie J. Malmsteen,1988)? Would be especially suitable for the old A-series modules. Even has a synth solo!

Excerpt:

Trapped behind bars, prisoners of death
All hope is ours, we can't give up yet
Ready to fight to get what we need
Die on your feet or live on your knees.

Oh, I feel something coming
Looks like a riot in the dungeon
You stand and die or start your running
'Cause there's a riot in the dungeon.

Remove ads