I NEED continual flame, help!

IceBear

Explorer
Don't want to throw a wrench into the works, but I'm not sure the summoned lantern archon casting continual flame would work. Since spells cast by the summoned creature ends when the summoned creature disappears - I don't know if this was meant to effect permanent duration spells too, but it would seem so.

From the SRD:

Summoning: The spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place the character designates. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or dropped to 0 hit points. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can't be summoned again.

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast end (if they haven't already). A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells or use any spell-like abilities that would cost it XP.

IceBear

Last edited:

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Maybe you could remind your DM that 25% of all randomly-generated magic weapons shed light automatically :)

(actually, I can't find the quote in the SRD, so that 25% is by memory)

At the very least, cast Deeper Darkness (lasts 6 days) on something you can put in your pouch. Then if you are attacked, pull it out so everyone is in the same boat (none of those nasty darkvision beasites taking advantage of you as your stumble around in the dark).

As for the summoning trick, Continual Flame has a duration of "Permanent" rather than "Instantaneous", so it would end when the summoned moster went away. Maybe you could summon something to bring you a ruby? Could Presdigitation create a little ruby dust, even for just a few moments? Did you know that ruby is actually the same gemstone as saphhire (just a different color; both are corundum). You might convince your DM it is a plausible substitue.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Have a Lantern Archon use it's Teleport to steal some ruby dust from the surface somewhere. The Lantern Archon has a weight limit of 50 pounds... which means if you're light enough (100 pounds) and can Reduce your weight to 50%... cheap transport! w00t!

I think. Maybe the teleport only works on inanimate objects. Have to read up on Lantern Archons again.

Greg

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Kobolds!

Find a tribe of Kobolds,

Someone in the party is bound to speak Draconic

Kobolds are easy to convince if you promise not to kill them.

"We, kobolds, will help you. We will koboldly brave the darkness, (we can see you know) and find you a ruby. If the price is right of course."

You may have to give them some exorberant amount of money for it, or trade some favor. But the little buggers are obsessed miners, if anyone can find one they will know where it's at.

(You knew I would suggest kobolds, Anc)

HeavyG

First Post
Ok, so my Summon Monster IV idea won't work.

You can still do it with Lesser Planar Ally (which I also suggested).

Doesn't even need the candle to do it.

So, there :p.

Also, since light spells are a renewable ressource but torches aren't, I wouldn't wait till the torches run out before starting to use the spells.

Zhure

First Post
HeavyG said:
Also, since light spells are a renewable ressource but torches aren't, I wouldn't wait till the torches run out before starting to use the spells.

Don't you mean the other way? Use your renewable resources first makes more sense to me.
Greg

Shard O'Glase

First Post
So go with the lesser planar ally method, a ssomeone mentioned. If you need downtime to level up, find out if getting downtime now will let you accumulate the xp and level up, or if the DM has some special plan to keep you down at 6th level. Because if you could level up, given the time. Next day have the wizard prepare a ton of rope tricks(I just assume every wiz learns this spell, sorcerers maybe not), even use up 3rd level slots or extended rope tricks, and see if he'll let you force the issue by inventing for yourselves a couple days of downtime with that spell cast repeatedly. Other than that, if fighting humaoid foes, start stealing clothes from corpses, you might eb able to make some makeshift short lived torches with them.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Greetings

More details: We are underneath the city of Roxes (spelling?), the capital of the Great Kingdom in Greyhawk (pre GH war). We've just finished the deep sewers (had to deal with goblins and ratmen) and are geting into an area beneath called "the undercity". What it is exactly I do not know. We think ghouls can be found down there. (so no mining ;) ). We got a lot of torches and oil from the denizens above, but we had a kind of falling out (we kinda killed the king of the ratmen, I think they're pissed :D ). The oil and torches won't last very long.

Nice call on the sumon monster. I wanted to cast lesser planar ally soon anyway (I have very grave information that I want to relay to the church of St-Cuthbert), and I'm sure the celestial won't mind casting a few continual lights on the side.

What we realy need, if we can't find ruby dust, is oil. A torch last an hour, but each pint of oil lasts six... can any spell sumon oil?

Ancalagon

Shard O'Glase

First Post
It's short duration, and it would be a vegetable based oil, but minor creation if the wiz/sor gets it at 7th. Other than that I can't think of anything that makes oil. By the way your wiz/sor is assumed to have a minor lab on him, he might be able to make more sunrods if the dm is willing to get him the needed equipment or assume he has some material on hand for such cheap products. The wiz given time can make alchem crap in the dungeon or sewer or whatever.

Remove ads