D&D 5E I need help

Deanal

Villager
Hey, I'd like to ask for help with the question:which subclass should I pick ? I want to play a ranger in my next game. I'd like to design him as a vampire/ demon hunter so my question is :which subclass would work best, both from flavor and mechanical perspective? My favorites are hunter and gloomstalker. Ps: I don't like monster slayer because of his abilities

Arvok

Explorer
You must play in a very different style of campaign than I do. We treat darkvision in total darkness as being pretty awful light quality, which, IMO, is exactly how the game describes lightly obscured. It's bad enough that you have blanket disadvantage to see things, and you have no color perception. Reading is much more difficult if it's possible at all, and most tasks requiring skill or knowledge on top of the ability to see what you're doing likely are difficult or impossible, too. It's worse than being a human in a room with a single lit candle, because a candle casts a small amount of bright light and you can still perceive color. A single burning torch throws 20' of bright light, how dark must dim light actually be? If you personally would be uncomfortable doing something 10' from a candle as your only light and you can see color, then these fantasy creatures feel the same way about total darkness. Most things carry light unless there's an imminent ambush.

That's why even Drow have luminescent moss in their cities. The only creatures that routinely rely on darkvision alone are those incapable of creating light. Most of those creatures have hearing and scent to make up for the deficit, or otherwise are only concerned about hitting you.
Yeah, I kind of gave up on trying to be realistic with darkvision a while ago. In 1st and 2nd edition it was pretty much like passive night vision (i.e. you could detect near IR), now it's a supernatural ability to perceive your surrounding even if there isn't any sort of EM radiation present. I also have problems with the RAW about light sources. From what I understand, if you don't have darkvision and you're sitting in the middle of a huge underground cavern and a party is moving silently with torches to illuminate their way, the two of you have the chance to detect each other at the same distance--totally ridiculous even for a creature without any sort of special senses.

But as far as being invisible to creatures' darkvision, the gloom stalker's ability is still a powerful mechanical advantage.

Remove ads