D&D 5E i need more necromancy spells

Donpoohbear

First Post
necromancy seems to be very lacking in 5e. im wondering if anyone has suggestions for spells i can use homebrew or 3.5e that wont wreck the balance

Scorpio616

First Post
You DM or a player?

Do you feel the spell schools are even balanced? IMHO one of 5E Failures was Transmutation having far too broad of a sphere of influence, mimicking the same problem it had in older edition.

Last edited:

Donpoohbear

First Post
more so im looking to give my player the abillity to have increasingly powerful undead minions so they arent just limited to making skelentons and zombies .

Scorpio616

First Post
I thought you might have meant spells like this...

Bonespear
1st-level Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a ivory spike worth at least 50gp)
Duration: Instantaneous

You hurl a foot long spike of bone wrapped in dark energy at a creature that you can see within range. The target must roll a reflex save. If the save fails, the creature takes 2d8 piercing damage and 1d8 necrotic damage.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 necrotic damage.

Last edited:

Green1

First Post
Well, as far as quality undead minions, you could always take some intelligent creature then use the MM vampire template then use the DMG's toolbox to give them class levels. I am fixing to unleash an army of centaur fighter/ eldrich knights on my unsuspecting PCs cities in a current campaign. Dont worry about HD control rules. You could always make some item that controls undead to put in your bad guy's inventory. The magic item tables are a guideline, not a straight jacket unless your campaign is some kind of lame "official" sanctioned deal made to sell modules. Or who knows, the vampires may just think your bad guy leader is just an awesome dude.

Of course, scale and include mooks appropriate to the campaign's power level. I doubt a vampiric duo of level 20 Tarrasque oathbreaker paladins is cool for a level 10 campaign. Then again, it WOULD make for an interesting end campaign threat in the background. /evil grin.

From AD&D:

Complete book of Necromancers which includes some new spells.

Ravenloft's books have also have several spells which may be cool to add.

The Tome of Magic is a book of spells...

All of these will need some convention to 5e but it has been said that it is not very hard to do...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
There's the book of lost spells, the volumes of forgotten lore in en5ider, and a book called 1001 spells I think...

Remove ads