OSR I never should have picked up Old School Essentials…

I really like the d6 thief skills, with the player being able to allocate points. I think that could be adapted to all classes that have skills.
I did that, because why not, right? A player was going to pick a barbarian (she ended up playing a fighter), and I thought "if the d6 skill system fits the thief, it fits the barbarian, assassin etc". It was quite easy to get the math and apply it to the other classes, as one can expect with B/X-OSE. A d20 could reflect 5% increments? Yes, but a d6 resolution roll is all over the game already. So it's d20s for attacks and saves, and d6s for resolution rolls.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I've been working on a sandbox campaign for the last weeks, and recently started to wonder why I wanted to run it in 5th edition in the first place. OSE just seems so much neater.

I think a big advantage with OSE (and of course B/X) is that it's lightweigt nature makes it particularly well suited for improvisation and procedurally generated situations. When you realize you need an encounter with a certain type of monster right now, you can put it together in a minute. No need to go through a whole monster description to check what abilities it has and how they work, and how that all translates into useful tactics. If some kind of challenge comes up that you had not thought of before, there's not much in the way of special rules that you could look up. You could of course just make something up on the spot with other editions as well, but I always find it really annoying when I know a mechnic for this situation exists but I would not use it because I'd have to look it up. Making something up that's not covered by the rules feels very different than making something up for something that already has a default rule.

I feel OSE is so simple that when the players have a random encounter with goblins and decide to track a fleeing goblin back to its lair, I could put that lair and the rest of the goblin tribe together while the players are still talking and have it ready by the time they enter the cave entrance in the forest.
Even with the simplicity of 5th edition, I think I would have to take a 15 minute break for that. Which isn't so great if that's the kind of thing that happens once or twice every time you play.
The super simple rules open up new possibilities for running a campaign.
This is one of the things I really like about OSE. I’m running a B/X-derived homebrew system (not OSE itself), but the tables for generating stuff are really useful. During yesterday’s session, I rolled “banshee” on the undead table for an event at the site my PCs are building up. I then grabbed a map from Dyson Logos, and thus there was a crypt beneath the PCs’ property their laborers uncovered while preparing the site for a barracks. I added some skeletons via the number appearing (lair) entry in their stat block, and that was the adventure for the session. Populating treasure was likewise easy thanks to the treasure tables.

That’s really one of the other things I like about OSE, which some others have alluded to above. OSE (and B/X) is incredibly hackable. I replaced the saving throw categories in my homebrew system, but converting all the monsters turned out to be easy because their saving throw progressions are based on the PC class progressions, which I had to do (and had done) anyway. I love that I can grab an OSE adventure, which are generally pretty awesome, and use it more or less out of the box even if I’m not running “stock” OSE.

Got my Advanced Fantasy Referee's Guide on the way. Was a bit surprised that I'd need a separate book, as the Classic Fantasy book has everything in it, IIRC (which I may not).

Anyway, looking forward to it! My best friend, who will be joining the DragonLance campaign, is now very curious about OSE and looking to buy his own copies of the books.

Yora

Legend
OSE is packaged in a number of different ways. I believe there is a complete tome, and also a collection of book, which cover the same material.
The original idea was that you can buy one rules, treasure, and monster book as the GM, and all players can have their own player rules book. You can buy the GM books once, and then five or six of the player's book.

Got my Advanced Fantasy Referee's Guide on the way. Was a bit surprised that I'd need a separate book, as the Classic Fantasy book has everything in it, IIRC (which I may not).

Anyway, looking forward to it! My best friend, who will be joining the DragonLance campaign, is now very curious about OSE and looking to buy his own copies of the books.
The classic tome has everything you need
The advanced fantasy comes in a player’s and referee’s tome, with more classes, spells, and monsters.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

OSE Advanced has a lot of extra stuff compared to Classic. Something like double or triple the content, so it makes sense. With Classic it’s all-in-one with the Classic Rules Tome, for Advanced you need both the Advanced Referee's Tome and the Advanced Player’s Tome.

Last edited:

I’ve recently cooled down on OSE Advanced Fantasy a little. More and more I see how, with just the core Basic classes, I can just tweak to make any of those character concepts.

But yeah, B/X is my favorite D&D and OSE is my favorite implementation of it.

It is a fantastic game and I hope it gets more and more support and popularity.

Remove ads