• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"I Quit" Public Play - Am I just an impatient jerk? (LONG)

pogre

Legend
I have always had a rewarding time running public games. I only DM for the most part, but I love meeting new people and seeing different player approaches to the game. I mostly run at conventions, but have also run some games at game shops.

I would always choose my home game over a public game, but public games have their own benefits.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I use public play to find new players and to game with my son. Yea, it is hit or miss (except when I DM, then it is always a hit! ,)

MGibster

Legend
I haven't played the current Adventure League for D&D but back in the day I used to run Living City and Living Greyhawk games and I did have some fun with them. It was a great way to for me to meet other people interested in RPGs after I moved to a new city and even though I stopped playing Living Campaigns back in 2003 I still game with some of those people. I never had a big problem with people being tardy because I typically started the game on time whether or not the table was filled

There were some drawbacks. I did have some regular players that I grew to dislike because they cheated, they were rude, and I discovered some of them would just go play the same adventure with a different DM to get all the treasure they didn't get when they ran it with me so I ended up feeling less like a DM and more like a rubber stamp. All in all I just grew tired of it and ended up quitting in favor of other games. Recently I've been thinking of doing the Adventure League just to meet new people.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I dont believe adventure league is intended as a long term thing. Isnt just for gamers to meet, play a few games in store, if they like each other exchange details then organise a "real" home game? So to answer the OP, no you are not.

Remove ads