"I Quit" Public Play - Am I just an impatient jerk? (LONG)

pogre

Legend
I have always had a rewarding time running public games. I only DM for the most part, but I love meeting new people and seeing different player approaches to the game. I mostly run at conventions, but have also run some games at game shops.

I would always choose my home game over a public game, but public games have their own benefits.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I use public play to find new players and to game with my son. Yea, it is hit or miss (except when I DM, then it is always a hit! ,)

MGibster

Legend
I haven't played the current Adventure League for D&D but back in the day I used to run Living City and Living Greyhawk games and I did have some fun with them. It was a great way to for me to meet other people interested in RPGs after I moved to a new city and even though I stopped playing Living Campaigns back in 2003 I still game with some of those people. I never had a big problem with people being tardy because I typically started the game on time whether or not the table was filled

There were some drawbacks. I did have some regular players that I grew to dislike because they cheated, they were rude, and I discovered some of them would just go play the same adventure with a different DM to get all the treasure they didn't get when they ran it with me so I ended up feeling less like a DM and more like a rubber stamp. All in all I just grew tired of it and ended up quitting in favor of other games. Recently I've been thinking of doing the Adventure League just to meet new people.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I dont believe adventure league is intended as a long term thing. Isnt just for gamers to meet, play a few games in store, if they like each other exchange details then organise a "real" home game? So to answer the OP, no you are not.

Remove ads