• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I really don't like the new 4E PHB cover

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I am leaning towards liking the idea of dragonborn as a core race.

I dislike the cover. Feels like dreary wannabe anime with too much warhammer influence to me.

While I do not expect contemporary fantasy art fashions to adhere to my personal taste (I am well past any desire to be hip and cool in my outlook), I am more than a little perplexed by how "cool" somehow continues to be equated "dark", "pained", "bloated, and "grotesque".

The teen angst thing has long been an element of fantasy art, D&D art in particular. I am skeptical that it is such a compelling draw to the youth today. Like yesteryear, many of the young will be drawn in to the fantasy genre by Tolkien and the LotR movies.

Talislan

First Post
Quartz said:
Take another look at the cover: if you weren't a roleplayer, would you buy it for your 12-year old nephew or grandson? I think not.

Actually yes I would. If they liked it. It is a fantastical image, there is no harmful reality to it. I believe that in suppressing such a thing I would be doing more harm to the child's ideology than if I let their imagination have free rein to decide for itself.

but then, I'm a child of the 70's Wasn't life Grand!

However, would I prefer it if the Dragon born were something else (like maybe a human) or the cover had more of the historically core races on it instead. Sure, personally I would. But the Artwork is nice and IMO well rendered and most importantly allows me to identify that it is about characters for D&D. In short, I think it will do.

T.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Quartz said:
Take another look at the cover: if you weren't a roleplayer, would you buy it for your 12-year old nephew or grandson? I think not.
If I wasn't a roleplayer, I'd be buying my 12-year old nephew a PSP game.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Quartz said:

Compared to the covers of many contemporary comic books I see 9-year olds clutching it's pretty tame.

_sheepy_

First Post
I love the 3e/3r covers *very* much. They are something I'd love to bring and read outside home. I'd rather have an abstract cover then a pronouncing cover. D&D is about your imagination, after all.

Edit: That means, as long as there's a character or a creature on the cover waving swords or magic, I'd rather make my own book cover when I got my hands on the books...

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Quartz said:
Sorry, but the dragonborn is a right put-off for me. Not only do I not like the art, but I can see that it's going to be a real put-off for new gamers and - in particular - their parents. Give them something that will not so much inspire but validate their imaginations. Give them something that says, yes, you too can be King Arthur, or Aragorn, or whoever. Give them a reason to buy. Not a monster.

Not everyone necessarily wants to imagine themselves as King Arthur or Aragorn.

Bishmon

First Post
I really dislike the cover. If I was a new player, I can't imagine that cover evoking a sense of wonder in me, even if I liked the genre. They really should have had a multi-racial party fighting an iconic monster, maybe with some treasure nearby.

MaelStorm

First Post
Bishmon said:
I really dislike the cover. If I was a new player, I can't imagine that cover evoking a sense of wonder in me, even if I liked the genre. They really should have had a multi-racial party fighting an iconic monster, maybe with some treasure nearby.
Like a zillion other games. ZZZzzzzz. I know, taste differ. Sorry if my post look aggressive, but I don't mind the change in style so much.

Remove ads