D&D General I really LOVE Stomping Goblins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reynard

Legend
This might be an unpopular or controversial opinion in current fandom, but I really love killing goblins -- or orcs, or kobolds, or any other stock enemy meant to die in droves. it hit me last night when I was playing Torchlight 3 (which is a video game and not a D&D one, but bear with me). The goblins in that game are very much the murderous, pyromaniac lit psychos of Pathfinder pre-2E and the feeling of obliterating them on screen filled me with a nostalgia for doing so at the table with dice in one hand and a cold brew in the other. There's just something truly satisfying about the over the top, silly mass murder of enemies designed specifically to die in droves.

I am not saying that is all I want out of D&D, or that I have an issue with a table or a game treating some traditional stock enemy types as not-stock enemy types (except Nazis -- Nazis should always be stock enemy types). I am just saying that killing goblins by the score is FUN.

Reynard

Legend
Years ago , I'd agree. I prefer more nuance now. I need to know why my character's enemies are their enemies. I've lost my bloodlust for stock score killing at the table.
You know what they say: "We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop exploding legions of goblins with fireballs and decapitating them with greatswords while in a righteous rage."

Oofta

Legend
Sometimes it's fun just to put the brain on hold and play a game that may just be a little silly. I think some non-serious monster stomping can be a great way to relieve stress. I certainly don't worry about all the bad guys I've killed in video games over the years.

Sometimes it's fun just to put the brain on hold and play a game that may just be a little silly. I think some non-serious monster stomping can be a great way to relieve stress. I certainly don't worry about all the bad guys I've killed in video games over the years.

And all those checkers pawns slaughtered over the millenias! Worse of it, in French, it's customary to say that the pawns are eaten. Imagine it!

Reynard

Legend
I also want the chance to die under a tsunami of green skin and rusty blades.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The Last of Us 2 was a really strange experience. The game does this great job of humanizing both sides of the conflict. However, while trying to make violence, revenge, and death a shocking and sad experience, the gameplay had you killing scores of faceless stock enemies. Quite a cognitive dissonance going on there. I definitely prefer it to be a thing or not a thing. Dont cross those streams!

Reynard

Legend
The Last of Us 2 was a really strange experience. The game does this great job of humanizing both sides of the conflict. However, while trying to make violence, revenge, and death a shocking and sad experience, the gameplay had you killing scores of faceless stock enemies. Quite a cognitive dissonance going on there. I definitely prefer it to be a thing or not a thing. Dont cross those streams!
That must be a Naughty Dog thing. I love the Uncharted games. Nathan Drake is a great character and seems like a really good guy who happens to be a thief.

And then he murders literally hundreds of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads