I rolled a 20 on my Save vs. Death!

Timeboxer

Explorer
So on Sunday, I was in a game in which my wizard, Lei-Fang, was battling with a hobgoblin mage on top of a ledge, while melee combat happened below her. The warlock had set up a zone of Hunger of Hadar below and around one of the entrances, which was terribly useful for deterring people from entering.

Unfortunately, it also turned out to be horribly bad for me, because I was knocked down off the ledge, and then the mage pulled me into the zone, causing Lei-Fang to drop to -3 instantly. Things were looking grim.

And then, when my turn came around and ended, the GM said, "Roll me a save versus death." And so I rolled -- 19! With the +1 to saving throws from Human Perseverance, that made a 20 -- which meant immediately spending a healing surge, giving me a chance to barrel out of there and heal up. A wonderfully dramatic moment, which totally made the night for me.

How'd this rule go over in your games?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Happened last session to our dwarf fighter who really, really needed it (as did the party). It's a great, great rule.

I didn't realise that it didn't have to be a natural 20. Cool!

Cheers!

Stalker0

Legend
Wow, I didn't know it didn't need to be a natural 20 either! Our party's warlock is going to be even happier with his new human feat:)

But I think our party's warlock might have a record right now. In one fight he rolled a natural 20 3 times on death saves and got back into the fight.

3 times!!

Wow, I didn't know it didn't need to be a natural 20 either! Our party's warlock is going to be even happier with his new human feat:)

But I think our party's warlock might have a record right now. In one fight he rolled a natural 20 3 times on death saves and got back into the fight.

3 times!!

Natural 20s are required for most PCs, though - save bonuses are rare.

Foundry of Decay

First Post
Oddly we've seen it happen a couple of times so far. Lucky player dice rolls in this group.

One player actually has a history of having paladins die early, and in the most gruesome ways in the games I run. I don't specifically single out the paladins he plays, but somehow everything within ten feet of him seems to roll a crit. We've actually jokingly 'banned' him from playing paladins.

This time, however, the rule actually let him play his pally for more than a session. He was critted twice and I think hit twice despite the attacks being against his best defense. He dropped and the next round rolled a 20. He got up, hit something, then immediately got critted yet again and one more hit dropped him once more (He was saved by the cleric).

So we're very favorable to the rule. If *anything* can keep a paladin character alive for this player, its one hell of a rule. Plus it just adds a great deal of cinema to the whole game for us.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
My group's been playing 4e since June 12th, once a week, and we've seen the 20 on a death save happen six times (twice was because of items like the symbol of hope and powers like divine mettle). What a great rule. It adds so much to the cinematics of a fight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases