D&D Movie/TV I saw the D&D Movie and I loved it.

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Will watch it again when streaming etc.
Agree the halfling scenes were mostly poorly done. And a few other areas could have been better.
Solid B+. i.e better than 95% of the movies out there and 100% better than previous D&D branded movies.

Definitely the best D&D movie, but that's not exactly high praise. I reiterate what someone said above, it reminds me if a Marvel movie. Not as bad as Thor Dark World, but not the best either. A mid-point Marvel movie. Which is a great thing for this movie in context. ;) Seriously, for a D&D movie that's about as good as you can expect. I'm glad they went with the campy humorous romp, it was the right choice for this movie.

Things I liked:
The easter eggs did not seem forced or out of place (like the two baby rust monsters fighting over a lock)
Holga's ex husband (the cameo)
Justice Smith did a great job
I was never a huge fan of Chris Pine, but he did really good here. Did not phone it in like Jeremy Irons did.
Michelle Rodriguez delivered her deadpan one liners really well.
I am a huge fan of Kenneth Collard since Cuckoo, so it was a nice surprise to see him in a bit part. Wished they would have done more with him.

View attachment 278841

Things I didn't like so well
Daisy Head's acting seemed forced and off. Which was too bad considering she was the archvillain...
The special effects seemed off as well for the races. Too puppet-like

But all in all I enjoyed it and it was better than I was expecting.
I would say "high-mid" Marvel movie. Not quite as good as the best, but damn solid and a lot of fun. It balances between funny and serious moments very well. And Michelle Rodriguez is a real high point - she portays the "gruff barbarian with a heart of gold" extremely well. She and Pine shine together as a team, without it veering into love interest territory (Edgin is definitely not her type lol). It's a good, fun adventure story with a lot of heists (that inevitably have something go wrong), so much so that non D&D players will be able to follow along and have fun like everyone else.

For the D&D audience, however... this movie unironically revels in its D&D-ness. Lots of D&D species and monsters are gloriously on display - every PHB race appears (other than maybe gnomes, although I'm not sure if the one member of the jail release committee is a halfling or gnome, but gnomes do get name-checked elsewhere), as well as quite a few non-standard races. There are quite a few D&D monsters that make appearances, although they've presumably left several iconic (usually higher-level) creatures for prospective sequels. There are literally dozens of recognizable arcane spells thrown about throughout the film - I would never have believed it if you told me that I would see Otiluke's resilient sphere cast in a film, and it being done properly! There are plenty of Forgotten Relams geography/lore name drops, as well as visuals like the Tears of Selûne (which I gasped in delight seeing). And, beyond the mechanics, you can 100% see all this playing out as a tabletop campaign, with a group of snarky, but extremely creative, players, and a devious and sometimes jerkish DM trying to counter their crazy plans. Heck, there's a point where a Concentraion check obviously fails....

Basically, if you like D&D, you'll enjoy this movie. And you can take along your non D&D friends and they will likely have a good time as well!

Sacrosanct

Legend
Saw it. Enjoyed it. Will watch it again when streaming etc.
Agree the halfling scenes were mostly poorly done. And a few other areas could have been better.
Solid B+. i.e better than 95% of the movies out there and 100% better than previous D&D branded movies.
Oh yeah, I will watch it again when it's streaming. Totally different experience and I notice more on my TV than I do with a huge projector screen.

Remove ads