I seem to recall seeing a spell that activates multiple wands simultaneously...

nijineko

Explorer
...but cannot seem to find it again.

My hazy memory places it in a Forgotten Realms source book, but I would like to ask if anyone can point out the source of this spell to me.

Please note that I am NOT speaking of dual wielding wands, nor is it a feat - iirc, nor of any of the multiwand items out there.

Andion Isurand

First Post
The 21 wand salute

If you apply the Chain Spell metamamagic feat to the following spell, you could simultaneously trigger up to a maximum of 21 wands (when your caster level hits 20). Your character could also get some material to bind all the wands together like a package of fireworks... leveled at your enemy.

You could also do this with Scepters as described in Lost Empires of Faerun.

////////////////////////////

Awaken from Afar
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Clr 6, Drd 6
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One spell trigger activation item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

An awaken from afar spell allows you to use a spell trigger item without actually touching the item. The item to be activated must be within the range of the awaken from afar spell, and it functions as though you yourself were triggering it from its current position. All other conditions, such as the requirement that you have the spell on your spell list or if the item's enchantment restricts its use to a particular race or individual, still apply. Both you and the item to be activated have to be on the same plane. The item cannot be in the possession of another creature at the time of activation, and it must be an item that you have previously triggered normally (in other words, without the aid of an awaken from afar spell.

////////////////////////////

This spell is found at the following URL: Wyrms of the North: Arveiaturace, "The White Wyrm"

Greenfield

Adventurer
Cute.

There's an odd conflict in the rules for command activated items (not Spell Trigger, sorry :( ).

Activating such an item is a Standard Action. But according to the SRD:
Command Word: If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.
A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some seemingly nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from an ancient language no longer in common use. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Sometimes the command word to activate an item is written right on the item. Occasionally, it might be hidden within a pattern or design engraved on, carved into, or built into the item, or the item might bear a clue to the command word.
The Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (history) skills might be useful in helping to identify command words or deciphering clues regarding them. A successful check against DC 30 is needed to come up with the word itself. If that check is failed, succeeding on a second check (DC 25) might provide some insight into a clue.
The spells identify and analyze dweomer both reveal command words.
The highlighted section implies that it takes no special concentration, or even intent, to activate a Command Word item. So in theory, if you had several items activated by the same command word, you could activate them all at once.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Not to be a wet blanket, but in reading that spell I fail to see how it would allow anyone to activate more than one wand at a time.

It lets you activate one at a distance (specifically medium range), but it says "all other conditions" must still apply. That means that you need to speak the command word to activate.

Mechanically I don't see any way to Chain Spell those together, since each will be specific to the individual wand or staff in question.

Now I'm a bit hazy on Chain Spell: Is that a Feat or a spell?

If it's a feat, wouldn't it just be easier to use Dual Wield Wand, and save the spell?

nijineko

Explorer
it occurs to me that the "standard action" portion of activating a command word triggered item might be the aiming portion of your action... the "i'm lining up to blast you" body language that makes it clearly an intent to act against one. after all, speech is normally considered a free action.

contemplating it, it seems silly for a command word trigger item such as the flaming part of a flaming sword to take a standard action to turn on. speaking the name and the sword flames immediately makes much more sense. (not that sense necessarily has much to do with d&d rules).

having the command word added to the verbal component seems pretty logical.

if "all other restrictions apply" then it may very well be that the only way to activate multiple wands is if you innately have the ability via another means.

btw, chain spell is a metamagic feat, which means it could in theory be applied to a wand, though it is easier to apply to a scepter or staff.

Remove ads