D&D 5E I think Elspeth just ended up in the Forgotten Realms.

Scribe

Legend
I do think I know why they are doing this, it's because outside of the Vorthos community, almost nobody knows wtf MtG is, it has deep fandom,but no cultural penetration outside of it's own fandom, heck even among MtG players only 25% know what Planeswalkers even ARE. Almost all attempts to commercialize MtG's setting beyond the card game has failed, except digital simulations of the card games, comics and novels, and the really big exception the D&D MtG setting books. Even the MtG cartoon and MMO seem to have failed.

I mean...call me crazy here, but why force a round peg, into a square hole?

If the lore isnt catching on (and it isnt) and the game WAS (past tense) factually great, one of the best ever, maybe, JUST MAYBE, stick to what you are good at Wizards?

The lore for MTG was contrived, pandering, pablum in recent history, followed by Jace-tice League, followed by "No shes not a lesbian." followed by the Planeswalker arc, into whatever they have done since I washed my hands of them. Oh right, the nostalgia kick of Brothers War. Got it.

Long story short, in a 'setting' where the face cards, the story, revolves and HAS revolved, around Planeswalkers, and only '25%' know what those are?

Thats not only wildly entertaining, but a damning indicator of the quality of their story and its ability to resonate with wider fans.

The game was good, and thats literally all it needed to be. Good game, some good art. Then they went and blew it up with Companions of all things.

Idiots.

I mean...call me crazy here, but why force a round peg, into a square hole?

If the lore isnt catching on (and it isnt) and the game WAS (past tense) factually great, one of the best ever, maybe, JUST MAYBE, stick to what you are good at Wizards?

The lore for MTG was contrived, pandering, pablum in recent history, followed by Jace-tice League, followed by "No shes not a lesbian." followed by the Planeswalker arc, into whatever they have done since I washed my hands of them. Oh right, the nostalgia kick of Brothers War. Got it.

Long story short, in a 'setting' where the face cards, the story, revolves and HAS revolved, around Planeswalkers, and only '25%' know what those are?

Thats not only wildly entertaining, but a damning indicator of the quality of their story and its ability to resonate with wider fans.

The game was good, and thats literally all it needed to be. Good game, some good art. Then they went and blew it up with Companions of all things.

Idiots.

They are all about Cinematic universes and AAA video games and merch now, especially with MtG maxxed out with the exception of UB.

Your not wrong about the Jace League wrecking the story, comparing wonderful the OG Ravnica prejace trilogy to the post Jace Planeswalker often CW comic book story lines is just painful at times. The settings get ecipsed by Planeswalker drama made attachments to planes harder (but not impossible).

Ironically this current story was better then most, their tourist aspect of the Planeswalkers added to the horror aspect of Phyrexia, instead of ecspsing the Plane. The Plane won for once, New Phyrexia plays second fiddle to no one.

Last edited:

Haplo781

Legend

Attachments

• not-stonks-meme.gif
    not-stonks-meme.gif
    269.5 KB · Views: 33

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
They've already slipped references to planeswalkers into DnD, specifically the gnome artificer Vi who was, I believe, a creation of Jeremy Crawford so not one of the current planeswalkers specifically in MtG. She was in the PAX dnd games and is mentioned in a sidebar in the artificer description in the Eberron book.

Remove ads