D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Do you know what is fun? A new oriental setting, not Kamikawa nor Kara-tur.... and created by Perfect World Enternaiment, the Chinese company with tittles "Newerwinter Online", Star Treck Online, Remmant: from the ashes, Torchlights. They could recycle a lot of ideas from previous games to create a new mash-up. It would be something like a OA by and for Asians.

Why would Wizards ever commission a video game company to commission an entirely new setting for tabletop?

The future of the TTRPG is linked to the videogames, the influence is too hard to be avoided. That videogame company knows the Asian market, and how has to be the speculative fiction for the taste of Asian geeks/gamers. Some franchises of MMORPGs are closed now, but they still could make more money being recycled the lore for a new fantasy world. A loyal adaptation wouldn't be necessary but only using the best ideas about classes, races, monsters and metaplot. It wouldn't be too different as when a subsidiary is hired to create a new sourcebook.

Other option would be a new cooperation with Capcom, maybe to add oriental civilizations to Mystara. Capcom has enough experience with the Western geek culture.

Urriak Uruk

The future of the TTRPG is linked to the videogames, the influence is too hard to be avoided.

I honestly don't even agree with your first point, as 5e has been pretty successful without help from video games. Sure it can help (the Baldur's Gate games are proof of that), but it doesn't seem like something that Wizards considers a high priority, just a nice bonus in revenue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I honestly don't even agree with your first point, as 5e has been pretty successful without help from video games. Sure it can help (the Baldur's Gate games are proof of that), but it doesn't seem like something that Wizards considers a high priority, just a nice bonus in revenue.

Well, there is some level of feedback loop there: Larian is doing something different with Rangers in BG3, apparently, and Mearls has said they plan to put a version of what is in that game out as a TTRPG test soon.

The influence of the videogames is there. For example FR is the most popular thanks Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. The experience creating and playing videogames affected the gameplay of later editions. Don't you remember that pictures of orcs from 4th edition too similar to the ones from Warcraft?

Sometimes the homebred fluff, lore or background created by the DM is based in videogame franchises, or PCs are clones of famous videogame characters.

Urriak Uruk

The influence of the videogames is there. For example FR is the most popular thanks Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. The experience creating and playing videogames affected the gameplay of later editions. Don't you remember that pictures of orcs from 4th edition too similar to the ones from Warcraft?

Sometimes the homebred fluff, lore or background created by the DM is based in videogame franchises, or PCs are clones of famous videogame characters.

"Influencing," and "the future of D&D," are pretty big different.

Remathilis

Legend
Okay, but wouldn’t it be more useful and additive to have a gothic horror world that isn’t a semi-inescapable domain of dread?

Well, it was more a thought process on what could be done if the streams crossed rather than suggesting it.

That said, both settings could benefit from some cross pollination. In particular, Ravenloft would benefit from having areas NOT used as Darklord prisons (that is, areas not controlled or shaped by a single Darklord but instead kinda generically gothic and dark.) while Innistrad could use some of the expansion Ravenloft would bring, such areas resembling Eygpt's pyramids or southern gothic. Ideally, the two thown into a blender and poured out into a new setting would be best, but I doubt that is in the cards for any but a creative homebrewer.

As an aside; I still have a hard time envisioning MtG planes as Prime Worlds rather than some type of outer plane. Ravnica or Innistrad or such just seem too small and mono-cultural to feel like full planets akin to Oerth or Eberron, unless you go to the Star Wars school of mono-planetary geography. But as a single plane, it feels more natural to be a never-ending city or an entire land of ghouls and ghosts. YMMV, of course.

Urriak Uruk

As an aside; I still have a hard time envisioning MtG planes as Prime Worlds rather than some type of outer plane. Ravnica or Innistrad or such just seem too small and mono-cultural to feel like full planets akin to Oerth or Eberron, unless you go to the Star Wars school of mono-planetary geography. But as a single plane, it feels more natural to be a never-ending city or an entire land of ghouls and ghosts. YMMV, of course.

I do agree with this, in that many of the Planes of Magic don't seem to be truly "worlds" as we think of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. I think Dominaria is, and perhaps Theros, Ixalan or Zendikar which seem pretty big beyond what is described.

But Amonkhet, Ravnica, and other one-dimensional setting seem more like demiplanes than truly worlds on the Prime Material.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I do agree with this, in that many of the Planes of Magic don't seem to be truly "worlds" as we think of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms. I think Dominaria is, and perhaps Theros, Ixalan or Zendikar which seem pretty big beyond what is described.

But Amonkhet, Ravnica, and other one-dimensional setting seem more like demiplanes than truly worlds on the Prime Material.

I tend to agree, although I think from what I've read on Theros that it has a literal edge of the world so might be rather confined as well.

I could see planes like Amonkhet, that magitech one, and the gothic world setting (i'm seriously having a trouble remembering their names) as more like areas within a world, like fantasy Egypt, Middle East, and Europe.

gyor

Legend
I see as possible characters from Innistrad being abducted and sent to a new dark domain in the demiplane of the dread.

Do you know what is fun? A new oriental setting, not Kamikawa nor Kara-tur.... and created by Perfect World Enternaiment, the Chinese company with tittles "Newerwinter Online", Star Treck Online, Remmant: from the ashes, Torchlights. They could recycle a lot of ideas from previous games to create a new mash-up. It would be something like a OA by and for Asians.

I like STO, which originally wasn't owned by Perfect world, which is why it's a good game. Not a fan of Neverwinter online which butchered Neverwinters good name.

No thank you to Perfect World.

I'm fine with Kara Tur update.

Remove ads