I think my character is broken. :-(

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
This character killed a level 9 NPC solo in only a few turns. It really makes the game suck being too strong, imho.

What was that level 9 solo, I wonder?

The monster manual has as an example level 9 solo the adult White Dragon.

hit points 408, AC23 F 26, Ref 21, Will 22.

I'm seeing your trick strike hitting about 50% of the time for an average of 24 damage and then perhaps a torturous strike hitting about 40% of the time for an average of 15.

So if both your alpha attacks hit, you've done 10% of its hp damage. It would then probably tear you to pieces with "double claw strike" followed by an action point for another "double claw strike".

I can only presume that your rogue didn't fight the canonical level 9 solo!

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
4: last night was our very first time trying 4e. Obviously we don't have any idea what were doing. we bought the books yesterday and tried it out last night.

Please don't take anyone's comments to heart too much - I think it always takes a bit of time of playing with the rules before everyone gets a good feel for them.

Rolled abilities are still in the PHB as an option, and your results are perfectly 'legal' according to 'method 3' - although it does highlight the disparity which can occur between PCs abilities based purely upon how lucky someone is with the initial rolls.

That is probably why the PHB puts 'standard array' and 'point buy' as the default methods nowadays.

In the campaign I run I've used 'standard array' (method 1) and it has worked out very well - it keeps the PCs balanced, gives each individual PC a nice balance while allowing them to excel in one or two areas.

Cheers

AllisterH

First Post
Krump985, I'll actually say Rolling stats is fine. You potentially get the same situation a la 1e/2e where only one person gets the 10% xp bonus but it should generally still work out.

Is it possible for you to list the stats/class breakdown of everyone in the party? Would help us in determining exactly what's going on. Like others, I'm mostly wondering about the difference in the to-hit ability, it defiitely shouldn't be THAT big....

Mad Hamish

First Post
A 9th level Solo should have an AC of atleast 23, probably 25. It should have around 400 hit points, 2 action points, multiple attacks per round, and at least one strong defensive ability. If its an NPC its also got all sorts of cool PC powers depending on its class.

If your 2nd level rogue beat that creature (let alone beat it in a few turns), the GM was either coddling you, incredibly unlucky, or didn't create it according to the rules.

I suspect that he means he beat a level 9 NPC in a couple of rounds without other people contributing rather than beat a level 9 solo monster in a couple of rounds.

MrMyth

First Post
I guess rogues aren't broken at all, just really good IMHO.

Sounds like you guys are figuring things out, and that you've pinpointed what was causing your dominance in the sessions. I mean, I suspect you'll still be the star of the damage show, especially while the others are learning the system - but you should be able to steer them in the right direction.

Also, you mention blowing through low level guys and thus your DM throwing a level 9 at you - how many enemies do you usually fight at once? He might wanted to up the numbers (you should be fighting one enemy for each PC, not just one or two guys at a time.) If he adds more low-level guys, that will make the fights harder - but won't result in enemies than half of the group can't hit.

Anyway, nothing seems outrageously wrong with what is going on. A new system, with folks getting used to it, is bound to have a few hiccups. As long as you're having fun, that's the important part - and in time, the 'newbie' level will fade. :)

James McMurray

First Post
I suspect that he means he beat a level 9 NPC in a couple of rounds without other people contributing rather than beat a level 9 solo monster in a couple of rounds.

Possible. But a level 9 creature still has a 25 AC and a 100 hit points, plus the ability to almost automatically hit a first or second level character. Two of those hits will drop a first level character to zero hit points. And if they're typical 9th level foes the hits will come with some sort of status effect. If they're an NPC they'll have stuff to heal themselves, striker damage, buffs, or other fun tricks. Not to mention a lonely rogue has a much harder time getting combat advantage.

It's possible, but I'm just not seeing it.

Obryn

Hero
The rogue in my game does a significant amount of damage when she can flank (which is regularly, but not all the time), but tends to die quite a bit. Really, rogues just aren't that hard to hit. They don't have many HPs, and blow through their healing surges quickly. They're the glass cannons of 4e. :)

If your DM starts putting more groups of creatures against you, I suspect you'll find the tables significantly turned. Additionally, ranged foes should tend to concentrate damage on anyone doing tons of damage. And, ironically, somewhat, minions are a rogue's bane. All that tasty damage just turns into a pointless surplus. :)

Try your group against a decent-sized group of Hobgoblins. I don't know your party size, but let's make this a level 3 encounter, and assume 6 characters.

* 2 Hobgoblin soldiers (marking & slowing with really high defenses, or using formation strike to set up/get out of flanks)
* 2 Hobgoblin archers (keeping their distance, playing their special ping-pong)
* 1 Hobgoblin subcommander (Hey, everyone shift 3!)
* 4 Hobgoblin minions (spread around to help the Soldiers & subcommander).

It's a really tough fight, if your DM studies the hobgoblins' crazy teamwork tactics.

-O

Sensai

First Post
I logged in and decided to reply just to laugh at the guy who asked for help and then pretty much just refused to read a reply he got.

How amazingly silly some people are.

Remove ads