Spelljammer I think Spelljammer will be more like Ravenloft then Strixhaven

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I believe he's had this star trek podcast for at least a year, he just plugged it on Dragon Talk. Fairly normal, he's mentioned it before.

I'm fairly sure it's not Crawford's call. The MTG team is the bigger, even more profitable fish, and they are clearly uncomfortable with crossing the streams too much. They even have said they don't want to do another D&D card set for the main line (I know they're doing the side line for Baldur's Gate), despite the D&D cards being I think the most successful ever?

Anyway, I believe the MTG team isn't keen on having D&D lore collide with and cross-over with MTG lore. So no melding of universes, no Liliana Vess going to Forgotten Realms or Elminster going to Ravnica. They seem fine with sprinkling references here and there, and doing a D&D product in MTG and vice-versa. But actually melding the two lines into one lore seems very out-of-step with everything published so far.
I dunno, 4 years ago, a Magic Setting in a D&D book was unthinkable, let along D&D Magic cards. In the future, who knows? Whatever maximized shareholders value will win out.

Yeah, and the Magic side seems to be getting more comfortable putting D&D stuff in. I see more and more integration as the future here.

So far the D&D in MtG has been the D&D cartoon secret lair, Adventures in rhe Forgotten Realms Premiere set, and the upcoming Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate. We will see what next year brings or if there are any more D&D secret lairs .

dave2008

Legend
I can't find the exact text, but Gygax mentioned something like the D&D Multiverse having about 16 dimensions. I'll let you know if I can find the text again and the exact list, but I seem to recall many bizarre ones in the list, including the possible and the impossible.
It was more comment on our perceptional reality than a history of D&D and Gygaxian metaphysics. I mean, I can only perceive in 3 dimensions so...

I think the next MtG Setting to get a Campaign Book will be Dominaria, although one for New Capenna would be cool.

Just a weird thought, but what if Spelljammer is a series of soft cover Gazetteers instead of a hard cover, like one Gazeteer for basic setting info & player options, and then one Gazeteer for each Crystal Sphere they want to do?

Lyxen

Great Old One
I always assumed that those were planetary things, like each world had its own Feywild and Shadowfell. Which in Spelljammer could also mean that large or populated asteroids and comets could have their own as well.

It was indeed the case at the time of AD&D2, the crystal spheres contained all their own planes, including their cosmology of external planes. You could not travel from one crystal sphere to another one using other planes, for example.

But that is because, at the time, there were different primes. The 5e statement that there is only one prime material plane that contains all the worlds messed things up a bit, I think.

They are working yet in the cosmology, and they have to choose what it will be canon. I guess their plan is watching the new ideas published in DMGuild are accepted, tolerated or popular among the fandom. They have to think about what doors to be opened to allow possible crossovers with other franchises. With Ravenloft can be relatively easy, it has been redesigned with that intention, but others..

And if they want to produce a videogame based in Spelljammer, then they have to playtest a lot of new ideas. For example they suggest no-magical ships can sail in the Astral Sea, and later this can be "upgraded" as if it was a growing living being.

Planescape could be more like Strixhaven, more focused into adventures, but I bet for a new planar handbook later or sooner. There are modules of Planescape where knowing the rest of the lore is not necessary.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I tend to agree, and think that the idea that they may have contractors like George create some Strange New Worlds to explore is awesome. A procedural system for generating worlds to explore would be awesome, ala Traveller.

However, just about the only thing we know regarding the classic settings is that they have a format that we haven't seen before...so there will be soem surprises.
Maybe instead of a Great Big Setting Book, they’ll do some kind of serialized mini-setting series. That could also work if they want to push a subscription-based digital toolset. Subscribe to the toolset, get digital copies of the monthly spelljammer setting series for free.

Last edited:

I tend to agree, and think that the idea that they may have contractors like George create some Strange New Worlds to explore is awesome. A procedural system for generating worlds to explore would be awesome, ala Traveller.

However, just about the only thing we know regarding the classic settings is that they have a format that we haven't seen before...so there will be soem surprises.

Was that reference to the new upcoming Star Trek series on purpose or accidental?

Remove ads