D&D 5E I Think We Need A Bigger Shelf

Wizkid's new red dragon 'miniature' up for preorder and it’s a biggun, both in size and price! For $400 you can order the red dragon Balagos, the Flying Flame. This model is over 18 inches tall, and has a wingspan of nearly 2 feet! The wings and tail are detachable.

The miniature is taller than the Tiamat model released last year, although the wingspan isn't quite as wide.

Balagos is a famous red dragon from the Forgotten Realms who believed he was destined to rule over all dragonkind.

d1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the summary, is that why they're Frameworks army builders (orcs, kobolds) are more than double the price per mini for similar GW minis though?
Frameworks are also way too damn expensive. $25 for an ogre, a monster you fight multiples at once, is nuts. Wizkids sells their deep cuts/Nolzur's ogres for $5. The quality isnt enough to justify the 1/5 quantity.

$15 for a a PC mini is acceptable - its something you only need one of per player and its used basically every fight so it makes sense to pay the upcharge. But monsters you don't use nearly as often, and change over the lifespan of the campaign.

I get pandemic and all, but this seems like their reach significantly exceeded their grasp logistically on some level.

For $400 I got the Razorcrest, which is 2.5 feet long, with moving parts, figures and accessories. The haslab sentinel was less with lights, accessories, articulation etc.

This is a big toob monster with a roughly comparable paint job. Did they say how many were produced?

Compared to...? The Colossal Red was $75 MSRP back in 2006. Even considering the higher end of what WotC "wanted" to price this new red dragon at (if not for the shipping issues) we would be looking at a quadrupled price point...? Or were you saying that inflation itself isn't at that level?
No wait they are right. More than QUINTUPLED the price

Stormonu

Legend
Wizkids has been throwing out an insane amount of minis in the last couple of years, and they have gotten absolutely huge in size (Githyanki anyone?). Wizkids has, in the past, gone wild once they see they can make money off something, and they are simply flooding the market with their minis - which likely means a bubble burst soon.

Prices though - they're insane for the larger models and such, for a variety of reasons - none of them good or sensible. Partly because right now, people WILL buy them at those prices. I would have NEVER bought the Tiamat, for example - but my brother was willing to spend the money to get it for me for Christmas. As long as people continue to do that, they'll keep making the models.

TheSword

Legend
I don’t like it to be honest. I pay higher prices for pre-painted minis to be able to select what I want from random sets. I also get that things will cost more on the collectors market when things go out of print. You’re paying for something rare.

This feels like they’re trying to charge out of print prices before it’s out of print. You can’t claim the price is due to shipping or material costs. That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard to justify the price of something going from circa $100 to $400 dollars.

teitan

Legend
Compared to...? The Colossal Red was $75 MSRP back in 2006. Even considering the higher end of what WotC "wanted" to price this new red dragon at (if not for the shipping issues) we would be looking at a quadrupled price point...? Or were you saying that inflation itself isn't at that level?
WOtC doesn’t set Wizkids prices.

teitan

Legend
I get pandemic and all, but this seems like their reach significantly exceeded their grasp logistically on some level.

For $400 I got the Razorcrest, which is 2.5 feet long, with moving parts, figures and accessories. The haslab sentinel was less with lights, accessories, articulation etc.

This is a big toob monster with a roughly comparable paint job. Did they say how many were produced?
I’d also like to point out their 1:1 scale Goblin and Kobold statues are the same price as this, Tiamat and Yawning Portal.

I’ll also add that THAT is a CG render and not the painted mini

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases