I Wanna Be Kate: The Kate Bush Primer

Janx

Hero
On the other side of the spectrum. I had never heard the song or heard of Kate Bush.

Nice enough song. I just wasn't into pop culture much once I got to select my own music to play

Sacrosanct

Legend
To your spoilers I would add the Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush duet "Don't Give Up." It's a great entry point to her etheric vocals. A top 10 song in 6 different decades makes for a hell of a career.

I came here to post the same thing lol. Can't mention Kate Bush's songs and omit this one, even if she's not the main singer.

Ryujin

Legend
On the other side of the spectrum. I had never heard the song or heard of Kate Bush.

Nice enough song. I just wasn't into pop culture much once I got to select my own music to play
Depending upon where you were, Kate Bush wasn't really what would be termed "pop culture." She was mostly played, in North America, by oddball FM stations and college radio. Top 40 stations gave her a skip. If anything made it to those stations it would have been "Babushka", largely because the music video made the rounds on MTV and "The New Music" (a TV show that largely covered Alt and fringe music, in Toronto). Point of Interest: One of the two hosts of "The New Music" was JD Roberts, aka John Roberts who is currently a reporter for Fox News.

Ryujin

Legend
I came here to post the same thing lol. Can't mention Kate Bush's songs and omit this one, even if she's not the main singer.
I think that really raised her profile, at the time. Around here a lot of people who had never heard of her, were suddenly wondering who she was. And that's given that Toronto was a major music centre at the time.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm familiar with her YouTube vsingles not her albums.

Saw the Wuthering Heights video a decade ago and along with Running Up That Hill and Babooshka the Xbox soits them out when I let it play.

Bit before my time I was a kid. But she's good not my type of music generally but I enjoy those three songs and other random ones.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Still love the retelling of the story of Heathcliff and Catherine - written when she was 18 it made her the first female artist in the UK to achieve a number-one single with a self-penned song.
I‘d just watched a Wuthering Heights TV adaption with my mother when the song was released onto the moors

Last edited:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Another great artist I've meant to dig more into for many years. I grew up with some exposure as my mother was a huge fan of Hounds of Love, and my brother and I were passionate fanatics about Peter Gabriel's So from a young age.

Thanks for this post. :)

Remove ads