I want a CS account BUT...

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Morrus said:
The ideas here are good, but there is one reason why they wouldn't work. If the search option were suddenly available for, say, $10, I guarantee that I would be deluged by people who paid $35 when all they wanted was the search, and who felt they had been "cheated" in some way. While, of course, I wouldn't refund anything in that circumstance, it would cause a lot of ill feeling.

I agree with BardStephenFox on the issue. Look on it as a gaming purchase, much like a book. Decide for yourself whether you think it's worth the $35. If you don't think it's worth it, there's no pressure; unlike an RPG book, you are in the unique position of choosing not to pay for it. Whether that's because you can't afford it, or because you feel you don't get the same value as, say, Book of Exalted Deeds, or some other reason, nobody will hold it against you or think any worse of you.

It's kind of like if WotC gave away BoED and said "Hey, pay us if you want to; if not, no sweat!" Perhaps by paying them, they sent you a new copy with an index which the free copy lacked, but they certainly didn't stop you from having the free copy, and didn't mind in the slightest if you chose to go with that version.
Hrm... In the case of those that paid 35$....might I offer a suggestion?

A. Do a survey/focus group/email type thing. Find out how they really feel.

B. Offer extend their subscriptions for free. When Dragon Magazine decided to publish more issues a year they gave free issues to everyone who subscribed under the previous deal/system to even it out. For everyone that paid 35$ recently to as long as 6 months ago, offer a free 6months or extra year. The others can renew at the new lower price, or perhaps an even further discounted price (just for them?)

You're worried about fallout, but knowing this community, I really dont think there will be any. To quote a movie I saw with my girlfriend recently..

"Dont let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game".

Ok, So its possible some people might be upset. Thats fine. Lets find out what everyone thinks, get some info, and do some thinking, then choose a path and stick with it.

5$/10$ per feature sounds good. 5$ for a custom user title, 5$ for PM's and 10$ for Search.
Thats a total of 20, not to far off from where it is now, and you still have other features like the Art Gallery and RPG which can also go for 5$. Now you're up to 30, just under 35, Give some free months for that 5 to the 35$'ers and you're set.

Michael Morris

First Post
That all sounds good Art but do you have any idea how much paperwork that would involve??? I would have to rewrite several subroutines to make it feasable to track - at least 2 weeks of work :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, I may end up regretting this, but I'll set up a cheaper PayPal option. I'd like to keep traffic low on it, though, just in case of problems. More details coming.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, folks - you asked for it, and you've got it.

I've set up an alternate method of getting Community Supporter Accounts, which doesn't use RPGNow.

Now, I haven't reduced the price of the full CS account from $35, because I don't fee that that would be fair to those who already paid that amount. So, instead, I added options so that you can pick and choose the components you want - from as little as $5 up to $35 for the full whack. There are varying time periods, too - some of the options are available for 3 months or an entire year.

You can find the new subscription method in your User CP under "Paid Subscriptions", although you can click here to go straight to it.

The other bonus is that this is fully automated - no involvement from me necessary. The system will take the payment and adjust your account accordingly, it will send you an email when your option is about to expire, and will cancel it at the appropriate time. Cool, eh?

The only disadvantage, of course, is that it uses PayPal - so let's hope nothing goes wrong!

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Morrus - Is there a multi-year supporter option?

I know that there are times when "I have money NOW" and I'd like to pay for a longer term.

Thanks.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Piratecat said:
I'm thinking 2, 3 and 5 years.

That sounds good.

Of course, to attract people to the multi-year options, your could offer a small discount - kind of like a magazine subscription. (Dragon Magazine, for example offers a few dollars off for a 3-year subscription, rather than paying the full amount of 1 year x 3.)

Just a thought.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DaveMage said:
That sounds good.

Of course, to attract people to the multi-year options, your could offer a small discount - kind of like a magazine subscription. (Dragon Magazine, for example offers a few dollars off for a 3-year subscription, rather than paying the full amount of 1 year x 3.)

Just a thought.
How about 35/70/90/140 for 1/2/3/5 years respectively? That's a discount of 0/5/15/35.

Remove ads