I want to give Sharn the Atlantis treatment

Torm

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Heh, I was going to suggest this exact thing. I think this is the winner.
I dunno - I like both, but I like Moogle's better. Not to mention it could allow Sharn to get to Toril, and maybe provide an interesting story hook, as the citizens try to figure out some way to keep the out-of-control Sharn from crashing into the approaching planet, and our heroes have been sent ahead via transportation magics to see if anyone on that world can help? (Maybe they end up in Thay, or Zhentil Keep? Or maybe in Waterdeep, but since their "Common" isn't the same as Toril "Common", things get confused and worse before they can get better?) Or maybe they are questing for the item that can help hidden somewhere within Sharn itself? Or maybe they are sent on a wild-goose-chase/information-gathering mission into the Plane of Chaos because Sharn ran across (or into?) a Mindflayer spelljamming vessel, and now the leading minds in Sharn believe the Daelkyr might be involved in all that is happening. Or, or, or....

hexgrid said:
Just have the SDF-1 execute a space fold directly above the city.

Oh, wait...

Oh, you have no idea how close you came just there to forcing me to 'plode my players heads.

They're already pretty traumatized from the game where they fought the predator on the battlefields of Troy.

What if I used several differnt explanations so that its an all uncontrolled reaction and the PCs have to decide what to respond to first and if someone orchestrated it.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Torm said:
I dunno - I like both, but I like Moogle's better. Not to mention it could allow Sharn to get to Toril, and maybe provide an interesting story hook, as the citizens try to figure out some way to keep the out-of-control Sharn from crashing into the approaching planet, and our heroes have been sent ahead via transportation magics to see if anyone on that world can help? (Maybe they end up in Thay, or Zhentil Keep? Or maybe in Waterdeep, but since their "Common" isn't the same as Toril "Common", things get confused and worse before they can get better?) Or maybe they are questing for the item that can help hidden somewhere within Sharn itself? Or maybe they are sent on a wild-goose-chase/information-gathering mission into the Plane of Chaos because Sharn ran across (or into?) a Mindflayer spelljamming vessel, and now the leading minds in Sharn believe the Daelkyr might be involved in all that is happening. Or, or, or....

If the PCs ended up in Thay, I'm sure the zulkirs would be happy to assist the city careening toward their planet. Why, for the low, low price of exclusive artificer training and the last Creation Forge in Sharn... :]

If Waterdeep is, as in the Spelljammer timeline, already capable of limited and secret space travel, this would put them in a very uncomfortable position - their only serious planetary rival (I've never bought the Zhents, Drow or Cormyr as serious challenges to either Waterdeep or Thay) is about to make a massive mercantile leap.

Worse, the Thayans can actually deliver, courtesy of their many archmagi, whereas the Waterdeep contingent requires Halaster's help, and we all know how annoying it is to work with him.

And those blasted Eberronians - they detect good and evil but don't base their decision making off the spells! What's the matter with them, using pragmatism rather than paladin class features as an ethical compass?

On the other hand, Lord Merrix doesn't want to give up his forge or the Cannith monopoly - he'd probably rather work with Waterdeep. Even if it's riskier...

I was actually thinking of having them land on the other side of the planet.

The hishna and pluma shapers are closer to artificers than anything on the Faerun side, and it give the players a hoot to land on this insane stone-age area and then discover they were on the same planet as comfortable old waterdeep the whole time.

Were there ever any Spelljammer treatments of Zakhara or Kara-tur?

Or Maztica for that matter?

Technically I think the Sultan and the Dragon Throne might be a bit better off than waterdeep as is, but I hadn't considered how familiar they were or weren't with the Spelljammer verse.

JEL

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Were there ever any Spelljammer treatments of Zakhara or Kara-tur?

Kara-tur was one of the few groundling groups actively involved in Spelljamming, according to the canon material. The dragon ships in the original boxed set were from Kara-tur.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Kara-tur is a spelljamming powerhouse, as far as any human nation can be. While it's not a major player like the elves or the remnants of the goblinoids, it can field a fleet capable of facing off with either of those powers.

However, the branch that spends a lot of time in space is almost as xenophobic as the beholders! They probably won't offer any assistance to Sharn - if anything, they would want to blow it up to keep it from crashing into Toril.

Waterdeep is aware of (and secretly sponsors) space travel, but is not a major player as of the Spelljammer timeline.

Thay produces its own spelljamming vessels, but is not a major player in space in the Spelljammer timeline. However, its newer strategy as the magic item merchants to all Faerun would work even better if extrapolated into wildspace, where many great powers have both the need and the resources to buy from them. I would assume a spelljamming campaign touching on 3.x Realmspace would see much more involvement from the zulkirs.

The Realms' Evermeet also has contact with the space elves and as such is the strongest spelljamming power in Realmspace almost by default.

Zakhara, Maztica and the rest of Faerun don't seem to have any spacefaring capabilities.

Ooo... If Sharn (the city) spelljams into Realmspace, at some point the PCs aboard must encounter a sharn (the Realms creature) :lol:

I'd like to know about Spelljamming before I go with this, and I probably will mix in the dimensional bit.

But I think I would actually have it crash to earth in Toril, perhaps as a result of confusion and madness within sharn or a dimensional difficulty.

It might go out into space again, but the overall destination is to be a... weird space. But I would like for that weird space to be accessible to spelljamming.

What do you need to spelljam? From all I know it requires access to water, which is a check, but I don't know what sort of cosmological or atmospheric potential are also needed.

Remove ads