D&D 5E I want to make a Slime Farmer. Discuss.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I have fond memories of the Oozemaster prestige class from 3x, despite never having played one.

With the return of the Underdark-themed Druid, I want to make a character who cultivates slimes, molds and fungi (obvious Ghostbusters reference is obvious, but not the intent).

With the usual caveat of "the DM lets you", what are some ways (both mechanically and in-world) to make this realization happen?

I would also love to see a 5e conversion of the Oozemaster, perhaps allowing Druids to change into Oozes instead of animals. I know the DMs Guild had a plant-based Circle (Deathbloom, I think?) that was very close.

With the Artificer now out, I had dreams of hurling vials of ooze at people, or perhaps (again, thanks Ghostbusters) carrying big tanks of back-mounted alchemical slime with a hose and nozzle... I know the Gnomes used to have a lava-thrower somewhere back in 3e...

No, this is in no way sexual.

With the Artificer now out, I had dreams of hurling vials of ooze at people, or perhaps (again, thanks Ghostbusters) carrying big tanks of back-mounted alchemical slime with a hose and nozzle... I know the Gnomes used to have a lava-thrower somewhere back in 3e...

No, this is in no way sexual.

You'd probably make buck by selling it that way.

"Hello, Mr. President..."

Herobizkit

Adventurer
How does one even cultivate a jelly, or ooze... like, what if he could have a Gelatinous Cube as an "animal companion" and regularly, what, hack off a piece to make more...?

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
How does one even cultivate a jelly, or ooze... like, what if he could have a Gelatinous Cube as an "animal companion" and regularly, what, hack off a piece to make more...?

Ok, hopefully we can agree it's going to require a fair amount of support from our glorious/nefarious DM.

With that in mind, I'd treat it like any other character empowerment that was not covered directly by the PHB. There was a thread floating around about dealing with a mine as a reward for a player group. I'd approach sliming much the same way.

Your character is going to need a bunch of stuff - items, conditions and ..well, slimes.. to make slime farming a possibility. And to be clear, this is a long term plan, a continual character motivation rather than a stat block/chunk of mechanics that let you play a slime farmer from he get-go.

Working with your sexy/creepy DM, I'd work towards setting up the conditions for slime farming:

• securing one or more damp/dank/dark places for slime living.
  • securing slimes.
  • securing varous mundane-but-rare items for handling/interacting with slimes (such as alchemist gloves that allow you to pick a slime/manhandle a slime for a while without melting your limbs and slime-containing containers, purchasable with a little funding from your local alchemist/crazy).
  • securing NPCs that are allied to your cause. These guys n' gals work towards explaining where your character gets their slimes from. (Plucky dungeon delvers, desperate explorers and greedy academics.)
  • securing research that will allow you to gain Advantage (capital 'a') when dealing with slimes. This would be the part that most lends itself to actual adventuring - go out and find/research slime.

With all those accounted for, at least at my table, you'd have more than paved the way to whipping out a slime, lobbing a slime and explaining away why you have slimes readily available and totally not sexually available. Worked wisely and you'll have a perpetual adventuring hook for a character - as well as helping your DM rationalise your actions (while empowering them to make things harder/easier - control - the rate of slime access, depending on their role/wish to present a fun fair game for all.)

Of course, I can only speak for my games but, if a player engaged with slimes (....) to such an extent as outlined above - then I'd have no qualms with letting them spit/spew/lob/slosh/slap or explode slimes. And, taking in to the above criteria, a player will appreciate and respect the slimey potential at their disposal.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Just to be clear - I'm advocating your character going out, finding slimes, stuffing them in the appropriate containers and dumping them in suitable places to do whatever slimes do, while making sure to feed them whatever slimes eat. All with your plucky/doomed DM's support.

Then all your character has to do is scoop/vacuum/ladle them up, stuff them in yet-another appropriate container and find ways of ejecting/sharing them with/on enemies/friends/family/misc.

It's really that simple. Much like being an angry blue vampire midget farmer.

Remove ads