D&D 5E I Was Wrong!!!!!

Mercule

Adventurer
I generally DM, but I've been itching to play a wood elf monk since getting the PHB. Unfortunately, the one campaign I've been able to join was already in progress and already had a monk. i did enjoy my lore bard, though.

Yes the Monk is well designed.

... other than that garbage Four Elements subclass. But Sun Soul makes up for that one.

Last edited:

Miladoon

First Post
Playing a Shadow Monk with the sailor background right now. He plays nothing like the typical eastern archetype. The sound effects being the only exception.

Just can't get away from that "PWAWEEE" when attacking.

Bupp

Adventurer
So go western monk with a full tonsure and good at fisticuffs. :) Guided by an inner peace brought by long study in cloistered solitude. Pass your character off as a cleric in RP and introductions. Then beat up the hooligans that get out of hand. The gods help those who help themselves.

deadalive%20KISS%20ASS%20FOR%20THE%20LORD.jpg

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
The Kung-Fu vibe is what I liked about the Monk Class. Although I always thought there should have been a Brawler archetype for the Fighter that works very different from the monk. But that's just me. I do, however, understand wanting good unarmed rules for all classes. A tai chi wizard (always pictured somatic components as Chi harnessing, and kata like moves), brawlers for Fighters. Was a big fan of 1E OA martial art rules back in the mid 80's.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As a matter of principle, Zardnaar, I have to disagree with your statement that you were wrong.

It's like the whole Cretan paradox. "All Cretans are liars." ;)

Of course, I do think the 5e Monk is the first time that they've finally gotten the Monk class right.

1. Lowkey13 is always right.
2. Lowkey13 must disagree with statements on the internet.
4. PROFIT! .... and now you understand the problem with the gnomes.

I thought the 4e Monk was one of the best classes of that edition, in terms of execution. But yeah, the 5e monk is excellent.

I've been pondering a Monk/Paladin for months. I wonder if I could make it work as a gnome....;)

Jokes aside, my Shadar-kai monk is 12 buckets of fun in 3 tea cups and a sauce pan.

I did have a gnome monk in 4e. It was fun to play a 3ft tall ninja that liked punching people in the NADs.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes the Monk is well designed.

... other than that garbage Four Elements subclass. But Sun Soul makes up for that one.

If it helps, I find that reducing ki cost by 1, minimum cost of 1, and giving the elemental control utility cantrips from EE for free, helps. I also add the elemental spells to the discipline list, and add 1 discipline known every time you gain a discipline, because what's the point if not versatility?

With the Wu Jen in the recent Mystic, I've thought about switching to the Elemental Mastery Disciplines, and reworking some of the Elements monk disciplines that aren't spells to be more like them.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I thought the 4e Monk was one of the best classes of that edition, in terms of execution. But yeah, the 5e monk is excellent.

I've been pondering a Monk/Paladin for months. I wonder if I could make it work as a gnome....;)

Jokes aside, my Shadar-kai monk is 12 buckets of fun in 3 tea cups and a sauce pan.

I did have a gnome monk in 4e. It was fun to play a 3ft tall ninja that liked punching people in the NADs.

Heh, I see what you did there. I liked the 4e monk as well.

Remove ads