I will answer 10 questions about Mordenkainen's Tome

What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?

What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Aha. Yes, in the Star Spawn entry. The Star Spawn are servants and heralds of the Elder Evils. The Elder Evils are beings which exist in realms lethal to mortal life and cannot enter the Material Plane. There's about 3 paragraphs on Elder Evils and five Star Spawn stat blocks, such as the Star Spawn Larva Mage which is like one of those Kyuss servants in Age of Worms.

Far Realm?

Also, if you want to go all HPL/CoC, Elder Evils should be able to enter the Material Plane, as long as the stars are right, the sacrifices are plentiful, and the music sufficiently atonal.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I resent the heavy-handed obsession with Dexterity for elf.

The elf should be a magical race with a +2 mental score, especially Charisma.

but...but..but...you said the same thing with the Eladrin during the UA, the last discussion on Halfling and now with Elves in general!
If WotC has an obession with Dexterity, I think you may have a predilection for Charisma :p

Joking aside, I know what you mean. I personally see Elves as Wis/Cha race, with maybe a +1 Int for High, +1 Dex to Wood and another +1 to Cha to Eladrin.

Yaarel

He Mage
Yeah, I am really disappointed with the 5e elf.

Other editions had alternatives.

4e was best, with +2 Charisma +2 Intelligence eladrin elf.

Yaarel

He Mage
Unless you play AL, I give you my full permission to make (+2 Chr / +1 Int) or (+2 Int / +1 Chr) elves.

Care about official rules.

In the first place, the designers should have designed the elf for more customizability.

I hate the 5e lack of character customizability. The inflexible ability scores. The scarcity of feats.

I have to find an other game that respects the player more.

Staffan

Legend
Yeah, I am really disappointed with the 5e elf.

Other editions had alternatives.

4e was best, with +2 Charisma +2 Intelligence eladrin elf.

While talking stat modifiers, I'm strongly considering using the way 13th age does stat modifiers for my next campaign. Both your race and your class gives you +2 each to one of a number of different stats. For example, a dwarf would get +2 to Constitution or Wisdom, and a fighter would have +2 to Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. But you can't double up on stat bonuses, so you can't play a dwarf fighter with +4 Con - but you could do +2 Str +2 Con, for example. That way, you don't have to worry too much about picking the right race for your class, because the class will always allow you to buff your primary stat. The race can be useful for either bumping a secondary stat for the class, or if the class's primary stat is one it shares with the race's stats you can use the class buff on a secondary stat, or you can use the race buff to play against the class's type somewhat (half-orc wizard with +2 Int from class and +2 Str from race).

Remove ads

Remove ads