I will answer 10 questions about Mordenkainen's Tome

What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?

What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?

Is the "abashai" typo from the artwork preview fixed to abishai in the actual book itself?

Are there tiefling subtypes that -aren't- diabolic in nature described in this book?

How much on the yugoloths, and do they walk back anything on the 5e MM yugoloth origins (which contradicts prior lore)?
I know the answers to some of these questions.

It's Abishai in the actual book.

All Tieflings described are diabolic in nature. There are Demonic Cambions however.

There is some details on Yugoloths but not nearly as much as on Demons and Devils. The Yugoloths in the books are the Marrenoloth, (Spelling has slightly changed for some reason) Dergholoth, Canoloth, Hydroloth, (For some reason the Piscoloth is skipped.) Yagnoloth and Oinoloth. For some reason that I myself am going to ask the designers when the book comes out. Oinoloths are now a type of yugoloth based on Anthraxus rather then the unique ruler of the yugoloths on the Grey Wastes.

Oh also your namesake is described a bit.

Was excited about this book at first but the more previews I see the less excited l am.
Why out of curiosity.

Yaarel

He Mage
Ok, my nerd rage about the loss of the charismatic elf has subsided. A little.

But seriously, the elf is an important part of D&D that I like, and the innate magic is the only part that I like about the elf. It is the same reason, I enjoy the Harry Potter movies.

For the 5e designers to kill off the Charisma Intelligence eladrin elf, destroys a huge part of what makes D&D fun for me.

(I dont want to play a mini-me, nor an I-cant-believe-its-not-satan, nor a tail-less dragon wannabe. For me, it is pretty much just human or elf, and this book Mordenkeinen destroyed the elf.)

I resent the heavy-handed conformity of 5e.

I have never played Pathfinder 1. But I am now looking carefully at its online rules for the elf. The player can easily swap in official, alternative, elf features. So the player (!) can easily build his or her own elf character concept, using the core rules.

This format is moreorless what I want for 5e. Offer an official example, but at the same time, the rules-as-written make it easy to customize.

Admittedly the Pathfinder elf options look unevenly balanced. Caution is necessary. The ability score improvements are inflexible, unfortunately. It cant fully represent various D&D elf traditions. Even so, it grants +2 to a mental ability score, Intelligence, synergizing best with the wizard class, and allows the player to swap in elf features that are entirely magical and wizardly and run with them, dropping all mundane features. Whether it is 1e grey elf, or 3e sun elf, or 4e eladrin elf, Pathfinder offers the kind of elf that I care about. It is awesome.

I feel 5e can develop high-quality character customization options. So players can enjoy finetuning their characters when creating and advancing. At level 1.

In any case, the 5e insufficiency of character customization options is becoming too painful. I have waited years for 5e to bring them online. They are still nowhere in sight. The heavy-handed conformism is suffocating my enjoyment of D&D.

But seriously, the elf is an important part of D&D that I like, and the innate magic is the only part that I like about the elf. It is the same reason, I enjoy the Harry Potter movies.

For the 5e designers to kill off the Charisma Intelligence eladrin elf, destroys a huge part of what makes D&D fun for me.

(I dont want to play a mini-me, nor an I-cant-believe-its-not-satan, nor a tail-less dragon wannabe. For me, it is pretty much just human or elf, and this book Mordenkeinen destroyed the elf.)

Uhh we did not lose the Charismatic Elf. Eladrin get a bonus to Charisma, if you want a bonus to intelligence then the High Elf provides that.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The heavy-handed conformism is suffocating my enjoyment of D&D.

You've heard this before, and you'll likely hear it again. But if that is the case either homebrew your own content that you enjoy, or leave and find a different game system to play. There are literally hundreds of them.

At some point, you just have to make that choice. For me, I chose homebrewing, but you've got to make your own call and decide if it is worth the investment of time and energy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Uhh we did not lose the Charismatic Elf. Eladrin get a bonus to Charisma, if you want a bonus to intelligence then the High Elf provides that.
Considering that the various Elf subraces are already among the best options for any given spellcaster Class, it is an odd complaint.

I have never played Pathfinder 1. But I am now looking carefully at its online rules for the elf. The player can easily swap in official, alternative, elf features. So the player (!) can easily build his or her own elf character concept, using the core rules.

This format is moreorless what I want for 5e. Offer an official example, but at the same time, the rules-as-written make it easy to customize.

Admittedly the Pathfinder elf options look unevenly balanced. Caution is necessary. The ability score improvements are inflexible, unfortunately. It cant fully represent various D&D elf traditions. Even so, it grants +2 to a mental ability score, Intelligence, synergizing best with the wizard class, and allows the player to swap in elf features that are entirely magical and wizardly and run with them, dropping all mundane features. Whether it is 1e grey elf, or 3e sun elf, or 4e eladrin elf, Pathfinder offers the kind of elf that I care about. It is awesome.

I feel 5e can develop high-quality character customization options. So players can enjoy finetuning their characters when creating and advancing. At level 1.

In any case, the 5e insufficiency of character customization options is becoming too painful. I have waited years for 5e to bring them online. They are still nowhere in sight. The heavy-handed conformism is suffocating my enjoyment of D&D.

There is always the half-elf. Just say they are the true elves and have been slandered with the name "half-elf" by the imposter elves.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Is the Hall of Concordance a pre-existing place in Planescape lore? There's no mention of it in the guide to Sigil.

It is not to my knowledge, and the way that it's described from what I've seen with respect to the Marut teleporting people there is straight up -impossible- without retconning some core Planescape lore (you cannot enter Sigil by any means outside of the Lady of Pain's portals).

Remove ads

Remove ads