D&D General I would like to adapt the module Die Vecna Die using ShadowDark system. I foresee a problem thought I think, expanded below in comments.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
The new ShadowDark system caps out at level 10, the adventure Die Vecne Die goes to level 13 I believe. I was wondering if the math breaks down after level 10 or if I can have my players continue pass and continue to select talents from the list??

The new ShadowDark system caps out at level 10, the adventure Die Vecne Die goes to level 13 I believe. I was wondering if the math breaks down after level 10 or if I can have my players continue pass and continue to select talents from the list??
I would be surprised if many people have an answer for you here as the game is so new. I do know at least one regular poster here is all Shadowdark now. They might be able to guide you.

However, I would go the author’s site, I’m sure she could give you some advice.

JohnF

Adventurer
Haven't done this myself. Theoretically, it should be fine. There will be a ton of stat conversions you'll obviously need to make, and treasure adjustments for XP (maybe use Hunter Mode).

Follow the advice of page 193, of course, but consider the 10+ bump to be something more like [Avg. party level 10-12 = monster LV 7] and [Avg. party level 13 = monster LV 10]. But scaling monsters to that level will require work. For the high ones, Mordanticus is a good starting point, I suppose.

I, personally, would do the reverse: fit this level 10-13 campaign into the Shadowdark 7-10 LV range, adjust treasure for proper SD XP, and convert the monsters very liberally. That's what I'm doing for the 1e Dwellers of the Forbidden City which I'm dropping into open table Greyhawk pirate-y hex crawl treasure hunts for this summer.

Good luck!

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Haven't done this myself. Theoretically, it should be fine. There will be a ton of stat conversions you'll obviously need to make, and treasure adjustments for XP (maybe use Hunter Mode).

Follow the advice of page 193, of course, but consider the 10+ bump to be something more like [Avg. party level 10-12 = monster LV 7] and [Avg. party level 13 = monster LV 10]. But scaling monsters to that level will require work. For the high ones, Mordanticus is a good starting point, I suppose.

I, personally, would do the reverse: fit this level 10-13 campaign into the Shadowdark 7-10 LV range, adjust treasure for proper SD XP, and convert the monsters very liberally. That's what I'm doing for the 1e Dwellers of the Forbidden City which I'm dropping into open table Greyhawk pirate-y hex crawl treasure hunts for this summer.

Good luck!
Interesting, I will definitely have to continue reading the book I haven't gotten all the way through but had a random thought about it.

Your suggestion of fitting the 2e module into the SD range might be a better way.

Some context I should include is that I just finished a CoS 5e campaign and I have tied Die Vecna Die to continue the surviving adventures since my players expressed to continue on with the same characters, this was before ShadowDark was a thing. I'm supper excited to try the shadowdark system and was thinking of trying to use it right away. That being said I think I should continue on using 5e to Die Vecna Die. Then start a new campaign with SD which I am planning to run a Dragonlance campaign with it I just have to be patient I think.

Remove ads