D&D 5E "I would play in a 5e game with no caster classes at all" (a poll)

I would play in a 5e game with no caster classes at all.

• Yes

Votes: 119 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • Eric Noah is my half-fiend love child.

Votes: 6 3.5%

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Honestly if a friend proposed running a game like that I'd ask what game they really want to run and see if I could encourage them to run that instead. 5e just seems like the wrong engine - and the wrong edition of D&D - for a no-caster game to me.

(Now if they wanted to run a 4e no caster game I'd be there with bells on.)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
In all honesty, probably not. I don't have any issues playing in games where a system lacking casters is used & don't generally mind if a gm disallows certain class/archetype/etc based on interesting lore. A game where the gm bans caster classes is one I would listen to skeptically to decide if the GM understands the crunch well enough to have enough understanding of the problem they think is being solved of if there are interesting lore reasons for it.

Even in darksun where it can be a monumentally bad idea to play a caster doesn't ban casters, it gives cool lore reasons why playing a caster is going to be an interesting ordeal & sets up measures such a caster would need to regularly take in order to protect themselves.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
what is an eric Noah?
He is... a LIBRARIAN!
conan-the-librarian-still2-900w.jpeg

Kurotowa

Legend
I've played in that campaign. Twice. Both fell apart rather quickly. The character limitations were painful and after the Big Twist revealed that magic was indeed a thing that existed there weren't any ideas left. Never again.

It's the sort of high concept that can work in a novel but not so much a TTRPG, where the players are co-authors and character advancement is a lot more locked in.

Deekin

Adventurer
What about subclasses of Rogue, Fighter, Barbarian and Monk that are explicitly supernatural, but don't cast spells? Would Psi-warrior or Soulknife be allowed? Sun soul or shadow monk?

Remove ads