D&D 5E [IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

GreenKarl

First Post
Creeping to the wall as best he could, Ulfred searched around and found a small crack in the wall that allowed him to peer into what to have once might have been a court yard. It was hard to make out much as the whole of the yard was covered in thick spider webs. Just has he was about to return to the group he spotted a large dark shape pass before the hole -- a huge spider!!! It moved pass and out of sight quickly but the Barling also thought that he could hear strange clicking and hissing coming from the area. He also heard the muffled weeping and moaning of someone or something within. He was not positive but it sounded like it could be Beldor...

From closer up Ulfred can also see past some the thick crop of trees near the wall and can just make out what appears to be a tower. Part of the wall has collapsed and he can see a staircase within leading up into deep shadows.

GM: The only way into the courtyard that you can see from here is over the wall or up the stairs, and both have a lot of cobwebs around them. The wall appears to be 25ft tall and requires a DC 15 Strength (Athletics) to climb, partly as you must also try and avoid the cobwebs. To climb the stairs appears to be no problem but there is a great deal of debris on it. To do is quietly requires a DC 14 Dexterity (Stealth) to not alert anyone.

GreenKarl

First Post
Caranthir saw nothing extra except the tower and stairs. The elf very quietly started climbing the wall but he misplaced a foot and found himself stuck in thick webbing!!!

GM: A failed climb check means that you have been stuck to a web. Cutting through the web requires a DC 10 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) or DC 13 Strength (Athletics) check. Success with either allows you to make a new Climb check and the DC of that goes down by 1 (as you have be stuck before you know what to avoid better). Failure means you are still stuck and considered Grappled. You also need a new DC 14 Dexterity (Stealth) check to not alert the spiders! (this is only if you failed the Sleight of Hands or Athletics check)

Fradak

Explorer
[IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

Taking his dagger, Heimdar approached the entangled elf and extirpated him out off the web.

"I'm here to hunt Orcs, but I can do exceptions. I'm with you if you need some help.

Let's try the stairs and stay together... What say you?"
he whispered to the newcomers.

OOC: Tell me if you need a roll to cut trough the web with a blade. Or it could turn into an advantage for Caranthir?
Stealth : 2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [1, 9]+7 = 16

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred bit softly on his lip, great giant freaking spiders, he thought to himself as he looked back towards the group and shook his head as he saw Caranthir attempt and fail to climb the wall.

Ulfred moved as quietly as possible back towards the group, as he pointed towards the wall he mouthed, “Giant spider. Has Beldor.” Silently.

OOC:
Stealth check: 1D20+2 = [11]+2 = 13

AC currently 14
[sblock=Combat]
Initiative: 2
AC 16/18 (leather corset and shield, when fighting with broadsword increases to 18)
HP: 20
Speed: 30
Broadsword +5 to hit 5ft 1d8+2 slashing
Greatbow +5 to hit 150/600ft 1d8+2 piercing[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
OOC: Tell me if you need a roll to cut trough the web with a blade. Or it could turn into an advantage for Caranthir?
Stealth : 2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [1, 9]+7 = 16

GM: You need a DC 10 Dexterity (Sleight of Hands) or DC 13 Strength (Athletics) check to escape the webs, not an attack roll. Or maybe to say that's your 'attack roll' to escape. IF you fail this roll you need a Dexterity (Stealth) check

You also need a Strength (athletics) check to get to the elf to cut him free

Fradak

Explorer
[IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

OOC: Ok so it's athletics 15 an stealth 14 to climb the wall to go into the courtyard unnoticed. It's clear.

But I don't want to climb the wall or go into the courtyard. I want to go to the elf who fell from the wall. That why I didn't made any athletics check but only a stealth check.
(Unless he fell into the courtyard?)

Then I want to help him to get out of the web, giving him an advantage to his action. As I don't climb anywhere or go in any webs.

I wanted to explain this.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Giant spiders?" Ursa whispers to herself, incredulous. She could not fathom the size of a spider that could catch a grown man; the biggest spider she had ever seen was as big as her arm, and she had been fascinated by the creature.

The woman is obviously conflicted about her next move. Stealth seems to be the wisest course of action, but that was never her strongest attribute. A straight attack, however, seems doomed to fail.

"Keep quiet, and watch your step," Ursa tells Belgo, "Don't touch the webs."

Then she carefully and slowly moves ahead towards the wall, and waits a moment to see if her movement has gone unnoticed.

OOC: Only Stealth at the moment: [roll0]
If successful, Ursa will attempt to climb the wall if nothing seems to react to her move.

GreenKarl

First Post
OOC: Ok so it's athletics 15 an stealth 14 to climb the wall to go into the courtyard unnoticed. It's clear.

But I don't want to climb the wall or go into the courtyard. I want to go to the elf who fell from the wall. That why I didn't made any athletics check but only a stealth check.
(Unless he fell into the courtyard?)

Then I want to help him to get out of the web, giving him an advantage to his action. As I don't climb anywhere or go in any webs.

I wanted to explain this.

GM: Oh sorry, the elf has not fallen from the wall, he started climbing up, maybe got half-way and got stuck. Make sense?

GreenKarl

First Post
GM: OK sorry for all... the Stealth check is if you want to sneak up the staircase to get into the courtyard. The Athletics test is to climb the wall. You don't need to make a Stealth roll to climb the wall unless you get stuck and have to cut yourself free. Sorry for the confusion. If you want to modify what you are doing you can edit your posts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases