D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Carradoc maintains a healthy distance from the age-less scribe, fully aware that the magical abilities he possesses are far too insufficient to take it on. And yet, when the creature turns his back, he cannot help but cast a glance around the room, and make notes of what he would take first if he should find the room unoccupied in the future, or if he had greater resources available to him. Scrolls. Tomes. Enchanted paperweights. All of these things are of interest to the criminal wizard.

And he can cast mage hand. It would be so easy to grab a single scroll...

[assuming he overcomes any temptations, and there is nothing just there for him to subtly take...]

As the door shuts, the being's words on the experience of time strike him. Carradoc knows of clerics who offer guidance that can help individuals regain their focus, and not lose the attention that this creature claims to experience. If he were a cleric, he would offer such guidance unbidden. But he is not, and he keeps silent, cherishing instead the small inventory of desirables that his view of the room has given him.

Outside, he regains his composure, and offers his thoughts to Damien's questions. "We know of two ways down so far -- the stairs just here and the large pit in the main chamber which Dent so helpfully found for us. If there are more access points, I think we would only benefit by knowing where they are before we descend."

The hairs on the back of Dent's neck rose when the thing in robes came to the door and addressed Tolan. He fought the urge to put his blade through the creature; denizens like this one were better sent back to the crypt where their bones could find peace. The preternatural intelligence in the thing's eyes, its civility, and its instruction combined to speak to Dent of a hazard best avoided, particularly when it was the Knight Captain he sought, and certainly not the vanquishment of evil. Still, he burned with shame when he found himself grateful at Tolan's having closed the door.

Forcing himself to re-focus, Dent ground out, "I'm liking the stairs. But, still, we had a plan to suss out the remainder of this level to protect our backs. We should stick to the plan."

Creamsteak

Explorer
Carradoc maintains a healthy distance from the age-less scribe, fully aware that the magical abilities he possesses are far too insufficient to take it on. And yet, when the creature turns his back, he cannot help but cast a glance around the room, and make notes of what he would take first if he should find the room unoccupied in the future, or if he had greater resources available to him. Scrolls. Tomes. Enchanted paperweights. All of these things are of interest to the criminal wizard.

And he can cast mage hand. It would be so easy to grab a single scroll...

[assuming he overcomes any temptations, and there is nothing just there for him to subtly take...]

As the door shuts, the being's words on the experience of time strike him. Carradoc knows of clerics who offer guidance that can help individuals regain their focus, and not lose the attention that this creature claims to experience. If he were a cleric, he would offer such guidance unbidden. But he is not, and he keeps silent, cherishing instead the small inventory of desirables that his view of the room has given him.

Outside, he regains his composure, and offers his thoughts to Damien's questions. "We know of two ways down so far -- the stairs just here and the large pit in the main chamber which Dent so helpfully found for us. If there are more access points, I think we would only benefit by knowing where they are before we descend."

You can easily notice that there are at least two potions and two scrolls left out on the desk the... friendly neighborhood undead scribe was at.

Shayuri

First Post
"Why do I have a feeling we'll eventually have to deal with that thing?" Aridha mutters as she trots after the others and peers down the stairs. "It can't be up to anything good."

hafrogman

Adventurer
Tolan shrugs.

"Maybe. But whatever it is, it doesn't seem to care that we want to remove the prisoners from this place. For now, it is not part of the critical path towards our goals. Later it may set itself in our path, but that is not today."

When Aridha peers down the stairs, he shakes his head.

"No, Dent is right. Let's make sure nothing remains above before we head below. Back towards the entrance."

OOC: AK27 next

Creamsteak

Explorer
Writing desks stand beneath the windows of this large workroom. Dusty tomes, stacks of parchment, and pots of ink clutter each desk.

It looks like this place was left in a hurry. Likely, whatever monks were here joined the battle alongside those minotaurs.

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

Forged Fury

First Post
Damien wandered over to one of the books and tried to read it.

What have we here?

Where have you been?

Don't worry about that, what did I miss? I see you're all somehow still alive.

We apparently ran into some nasty undead thing that we left alone. I don't know how you missed it, it talked for like a day.

A lich?

No, nothing itches, I don't have a rash, but thanks for asking.

LICH, FOOL! Was it a lich?

What the Hells is that? How would I know...

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thaliss inspects the parchments and books, especially those that were in the process of being written. He murmurs words of arcane power as he looks around the room.

OOC:
Cast guidance. add [roll0] to roll below
search: [roll1]

Note: I did a search roll, as it seems more appropriate, but Thaliss' perception modifier is higher (+5 vs +2)

Question: do the inks in this room seem usable to transcribe ritual spells to Thaliss's book of ancient secrets?

Creamsteak

Explorer
The vast majority of the texts are non-magical in nature and the monks works were mostly philosophical treatises on self-denial and nihilism as the response to a flawed and illogical world.

It would take some time to sort through the books to determine which would have value to non-cultists. There are academic texts on the elemental planes, holy texts that refer to earth deities or elemental powers (most quote obscure), etc.

Two scrolls of magical nature can be readily identified as they were set to the side. They are a scroll of dust devil and a scroll of erupting earth.

Remove ads