IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part V(b)

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]If we rest up, I propose we send a note to Eligos along the lines of:
"E-
Visitor below has been sent home. We are comfortable at the Dancing Bear [or whatever the name of the inn is] will drop by for a chat in a few days. -KEN"

Then Erdolliel would like to cast a couple permanency spells on herself, namely Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages, and Read Magic (although the last one doesn't seem as necessary). She is willing to cast any of them on Nethezar and Kushnak as well if they want them.

Also, do we want to re-visit the wish list to see what might be needed? We had a scroll of Remove Curse on there, if we want to make a few of those, Erdolliel can learn the spell and help out. She also has time to scribe any other scrolls we might need/want. I imagine that Kushnak and Nethezar could craft something while we wait too. The current wishlist has Nethezar making a couple more CLW wands and maybe Kushnak making a shield for Nethezar?? Can Nethezar use a shield? Too bad that Erdolliel can only cast 1 permanency a day... She can make a scroll of glitterdust or something the rest of the time.[/sblock]

Last edited:

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak gulps his first several drinks in silence, but turns his attention to the conversation soon after.

"Eligos surely doesn't need us yet, but may want to know more about what we found. I can send him a message shortly and he'll have an answer immediately for us, if he chooses. Depending on his needs of us, i would agree that a few days of focused preparation could do us a great deal of good."

[sblock=oc]
So i reset my spell sheet, but before i did that, kushnak had sending prepared for this specific purpose. Since i hasn't been time yet, he should be able to send a messages directly. Eligos can reply if he wants.

Since he should 'recognize me' i suggest:

Illithid dead. We are comfortable at the Dancing Bear. A few days of preparation are advised. Call for us if needed before then.

on the crafting front, let me do some math, but i wouldn't be opposed if i can 'afford' it, to try crafting some +3 cloaks or something for everyone.

Regardless we should agree on what we should sell, sell it all, and spend all(or at least most) of that. Carrying around 20,000 gold is dumb.

Additionally, i did some significant overhaul of the party treasure sheet. split out cash-on-hand into a ledger type. Moved the valueless items to their own sheet, etc. (i'm sure you both noticed anyway) Kushnak 'took' the bag of holding we had, and i'm operating under the assumption that all the valueless stuff is in there unless someone wants to claim something specific.
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Kushnak receives an immediate response to his sending:
With illithid gone, my research suggests no immediate danger. Take your rest. I will contact if needed.

You are free to take several days to take care of crafting, selling, buying, etc. While Neth can use both scribe scroll and craft wand, from a metagaming standpoint, you might be better off not having him fall any further behind in XP.

To fix some stuff I failed to mention before, the spell storing morningstar has hold person with a save DC of 15, and the ring of counterspells indeed has dispel magic in it.

Ti has bugged me quite a bit about what stuff Neth might like to buy. Frankly, there's little need for a weapon for him. Because he is both bard and cleric, he has a LOT of spells per day. If he's not casting a spell, or using bardic magic, then he should probably just stick with his MM wand (CL 9 and still has 39 charges). That, probably, means that it makes more sense to sell the spell storing morningstar than keep it.

To give an overview, he has (of note):
+1 mithral shirt
+1 club (with continual flame)
"Standard" boots
A nearly empty CL 3 MM wand, and the nearly full CL 9 MM wand
+1 cloak of resistance
+2 "circlet" of wisdom (from Zosiel's tomb)
And some mostly worthless crap (like acid)

Things he might want are upgrades to the armor, cloak, or circlet; and an item boosting CHA would aid his bardic goo and turning. Otherwise, I can't think of anything specific, other than general purpose items (we could all use rings of protection, or brooches of shielding, or whatever).

As for permanency, given the differences between what you can cast on yourself vs. others, I think Kushank and Neth could benefit from resistance, however, it doesn't stack with cloaks, so it is moot now. Perhaps we would want to use permanent enlarge person on Kushnak, and then give him the ring of counterspells, since an enlarged half-orc just cries out for a dispel magic.

Finally, you might be okay with the CLW wands for the moment. My list says that, of the three Neth is carrying, they have 50, 46, and 37 charges.[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]Carrying gold around is dumb. We should use the 1000 gp worth of crafting materials instead of selling them. I think when we bought them (back in the first town??) we decided that they were vague enough to be interchangable.

I agree on weapons. I think that getting Neth armor and everyone resistance stuff is good, but might break the bank. We'd have to do the math, but I won't be able to until tomorrow. I'll permanency anyone for whatevs they want (well outta comp languages, detect magic, read magic, enlarge person, magic fang (ha! maybe Erdolliel should get a familiar), reduce person (ha!), and Resistance (+1 Could we come up with a house rule that let Erdolliel cast +2-+5 like can be done with a cloak? That'd be cool)). A large Kushnak would be slightly less cooler than a large Eskard would have been.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
I'll permanency anyone for whatevs they want (well outta comp languages, detect magic, read magic, enlarge person, magic fang (ha! maybe Erdolliel should get a familiar), reduce person (ha!), and Resistance (+1 Could we come up with a house rule that let Erdolliel cast +2-+5 like can be done with a cloak? That'd be cool)). A large Kushnak would be slightly less cooler than a large Eskard would have been.
At the risk of sounding... like me... did you miss the note about...
me said:
As for permanency, given the differences between what you can cast on yourself vs. others[...]
(Emphasis added).
Erdolliel cannot use permanency to cast several of those spells on us (she can only cast most of those Ti listed on herself).

Also, for whatever it is worth, I'd really need convincing before I'd accept permanent resistance for more than what the spell already allows. Especially since that would free up a magic item slot for something else.[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
At the risk of sounding... like me... did you miss the note about...
Erdolliel cannot use permanency to cast several of those spells on us (she can only cast most of those Ti listed on herself).
Good Job! You do sound just like you! A guy doesn't interpret 3% of the words (I counted...) on a post and all hell breaks loose :) :)

Y'all can get anything on the list after Enlarge Person (which i am compelled to point out includes more than half the list), so permanency is prolly useless outside of having inherent resistance if we get captured and stripped of everything we're wearing again (which probably is not be worth 3 extra days). I suppose if we wanted to be extra specific, she could cast Alarm, Dancing Lights, or Ghost Sound on someone's equipment too, not that I think any of those spells would be super useful either.

Also, for whatever it is worth, I'd really need convincing before I'd accept permanent resistance for more than what the spell already allows. Especially since that would free up a magic item slot for something else.
This is why I brought it up, to gauge what it would take to make it happen (making it easy would be stupid). Obviously it has enough importance that someone decided you could make items with higher levels of resistance than the spell gives. My guess would be that much like having +1 resistance made permanent at 9th level is way less than the +3 cloak that Kushank can now craft, the level at which +2 resistance could be made permanent might be far above when it would be useful. I'm not trying to game the system (maybe you're thinking of someone else with which I share a first name), I just think it would be interesting to see what it might take to beef up the function some.

For the cloak equivalents, the caster level must be 3x the + on the cloak (3rd for +1, 9th for +3, etc). I think making the caster level be 9x the level of the + for permanency seems a little ridiculous (+2 at 18th caster level??), but I could be wrong due to how useful an additional magic item slot would be. Although I feel like we have a TON of unused slots right now and we aren't particularly money limited. Maybe all the cool sh..tuff comes at higher levels.

If having a caster level 9x the + would be ridiculous, would being able to add another + every 4 caster levels be too lenient? that way you could have +2 at 13th lvl (when Kushnak could craft +4 cloaks) +3 at 17th level (Kushnak is maxed at +5 cloaks 2 levels before) and +4 at 21st level (after we're done with AoW). We'd have to beef up the xp cost too of course, if we were to follow the pattern on permanence spell it would be 2,500 xp for a +2, 4,500 for a +3 and 6,500 for a +4 (which seems light on the +4 end).

As for what we're crafting/buying, I might wait for O3 to weigh in some, but a really fast back of the napkin calc last night showed that we probably could afford to buy Nethezar a ring of protection AND get us all +3 cloak/vest/whatevers of resistance.[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]

So, Kush took the ring of counterspells and will fill it with dispel magic at somepoint during the crafting/down time.

I fixed the sell price for the +2 cloak we're getting rid of.

I'm fine with the other 'keeps' so people should take them and note them.

On the crafting points:

- I took the crafting materials off the sell list, and will deduct them from the cost of making things.

-i can cast resistance 17 times, so 2 days(ish) for the cloaks(27 castings of resistance)

-i can get the +2 charisma thing made with the rest of the other day (4 castings of eagles splendor)

-i can get neth's armor to +3 on the 3rd day

-i can make neth a +4 wisdom thing in the remaining time from the third day plus another day and maybe a few from the 2nd day too. (16 castings of owl's wisdom)

that's 4 full days, 2200xp ( 1080 for the cloaks, 160 for the charisma, 320 for the armor, 640 for the wisdom) from Kushnak and the money has already been deducted from the party treasure sheet.

Take the stuff you have 'claimed' from the party treasure sheet and update your characters net worth appropriately. (Neth should be doing pretty hot.)

There are rules for creating magic items that don't occupy an item slot somewhere. It makes them ridiculously expensive in my memory. I'd say that permanency probably could mimic that kind of thing(though should probably be even worse) if you wanted to use it to stack resistance bonuses.

Everyone ok otherwise?
[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]sounds good, Erdolliel's good to go. My fast calcs of all the stuff we just gave Nethezar indicate that for the first time in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, Erdolliel might not be the wealth leader. YAY![/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]
There are rules for creating magic items that don't occupy an item slot somewhere. It makes them ridiculously expensive in my memory. I'd say that permanency probably could mimic that kind of thing(though should probably be even worse) if you wanted to use it to stack resistance bonuses.

I think I found those rules mentioned there on the creating magic items On the table that links opens to, there is a spot for creating items with no space limitation (note #5) that says that the entire cost to create is doubled for such items.

At the bottom of that page is also a section on upgrading magic items (aka making a +1 vest of resistance into a +3 vest) saying that it can be done essentially for free (so rather than selling the +1 item and crafting a +3 item you can just upgrade it for the same amount of money)

Also, the final section talks about body slot affinities. I assume that our house rule on using different equivalent body slots overrides the rule saying that items made for different body slots (e.g. a vest of resistance instead of a cloak) cost 50% more.

That's all I got for now. When is go time again? :)

Also, we just don't really use the OOC thread anymore do we? Other than Di updating encounters and xp that is.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Sorry, guys. I'm not going to get a substantive post up tonight. I've been working all night on stuff for the theatre board.

So, I think it sorta looks like the goo is sorted out. I have to take a little time to update Neth's sheet and then his treasure stuff.

I'm pretty sure there was something else I was gonna say... But I can't make my mind remember. And no, I'm not drunk.[/sblock]

Remove ads