IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part V(b)

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]I'm going to start with the blind question... There is apparently a complete lack of rules on this or FAQs or anything, I dunno if it's supposed to be so obvious that it doesn't make it into the FAQ or what. However, after looking at lots of stuff, I came to the conclusion that the gaze attack probably still does work, but that's based on a couple assumptions.

1) the gaze attack is a supernatural ability, so even though it's blocked from seeing things, the supernatural-ness of it's eyes still exists. However, since it can't see, it can't really direct it's gaze attack like normal. Some people tried to distinguish between passive and active gaze attacks, basically that passive attacks are when the player looks at the thing and gets walloped, and active is when the creature has to do something special while looking at the PC.

2) The creature can choose to "veil" their eyes and turn off the attack, this implies that it's a natural function of the eye. I guess it ties into the passive v active talk. The srd does say that if a PC has darkvision they are subject to the gaze attack when it's dark. Kinda a roundabout way of saying that just because the creature might not be able to see you, you can still see it.

Paizo has a decent (and short) discussion about it. here's the link.[/sblock] Erdolliel moves in on the helpless creature.[sblock=oc]so I know that it's not helpless, but I don't think Erdolliel knows it yet, besides I think she'll lose the ability to Sneak Attack if she averted eyes, even if it's blind.

Drop the wand and move S, SE, SE while drawing her sword. Tumble (+15) while moving through threatened squares to avoid AoOs. ummm, it's blind it can't make AoOs (but I want her to tumble if I'm wrong :).)

Then attack the creature +9 1d8+3 +4d6. Dodge still on O, Mobility if the tumble fails, which I think it can't...[/sblock]

Last edited:

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]Unfortunately gaze attacks are horrible.

Gaze attacks which require no specific action to use, which are literal gaze attacks(ie: not like, say, a vampire), are (almost) totally unaffected by blindness in their generic use. The only piece where i'd take concern is the 'active' use case, where a creature uses a gaze attack as an attack action. They should probably have at least roll a miss chance or something.

[/sblock]

Kushnak steps into the creature, clearly attempting to finish this battle quickly.

[sblock=oc]

Full attack O(PA 3): +14/+9 2d6+14

5' step south.

Dodge on O, AC 25
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Hoping to bring the creature down quickly, both Erdolliel and Kushnak close in on the blinded snake. Despite the creature's magic protection, both elf and half-orc strike strong, precise blows. When Kushnak is finished, the creature lies dead, its blood pouring into the stream nearby.
[sblock=OOC]Re: gaze, I think I agree with what you are both suggesting. You'll need to make the general saves at the beginning of your turns (unless you avert your gaze), but either it cannot use an attack action to force another save, or it would have a miss chance or something. I don't think it will try to make that action anyway, so I don't think I have to decide that. (Especially since it died.)

Re: blind AoOs... I dunno whether blind things can make AoOs. I, obviously, forgot about it last round when Kushnak moved. Do either of you know? I'd look now, but I need to get back to work.

Erdolliel: will save v. gaze attack, 14+ success; drops wand; moves while drawing; attack 13+, miss chance 73, hit, 21 damage
Kushnak: save, 9+ success; attack 11+, miss chance 88, hit, 22 damage
Snake: dead

Status & Init:
Kushnak: 17 damage; dodge O
Snake: 85 damage; dead
Erdolliel: 17 damage [/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel searches the snake's body before returning to the group in the other room. "The passage out should be safe now, we left markers along the way." She then goes and finishes searching the prison area as well.[sblock=oc]Blindness gives your opponents total concealment which doesn't let you make AoOs[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
"Well if you want us to just lead you out, we can." Erdolliel says as she starts out, "But we are probably going to have to come up with an excuse for why we're all climbing out of the sewers covered in gore... Unless we want to try to rest until tonight when fewer people might be around? This area would be defensible."

o3caudata

First Post
"Waiting may simply be too dangerous. Our 'cover' story doesn't need to be particularly elaborate. We've done very little wrong here and these folk can vouch for the assistance we've provided them. I can give us an immediate magical evacuation if necessary, but i doubt it will be needed."

"Take a moment to clean yourself some and let's be off."

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel nods and leads the way back to the sewer entrance. Once there, she makes herself presentable and climbs back out onto the street.[sblock=oc]not sure how far to plan here, but if there isn't any encounters or rewards from the prisoners, I assume we'll want to go get Neth back first and then rest and then check in with Eligos.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
The scared and weary prisoners gladly follow the duo out of the illithid's lair. Aside from some rats, the group meets nothing untoward as it progresses out.

Soon enough, Kushnak and Erdolliel are prying open sewer grate and leading the group to freedom.

As the whole group climbs out, a guard approaches. While he seems perplexed by the varied different persons, the guard had been told by others that there was sewer maintenance going on. "Not my place to bug you edge-neers..." he mutters as he walks away.

With proffered thanks, the civilians quickly take in their surroundings and depart.

TiCaudata

First Post
"Not even a promise of coin to show their gratitude huh?" Erdolliel mutters after they all leave. "They probably didn't have much to offer anyway. Let's go patch up Nethezar." She then turns towards the temple of Nethezar's god and leads the way.[sblock=oc]We have over 20k cash "on hand" so I think we can just go direct. No?[/sblock]

Remove ads