IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part V(b)

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Technically, I believe the swarm appears right before your next turn. See here. I have not (at least yet) found anything to indicate precisely when the summoned creature acts, but I think it makes sense for it to act immediately (putting it in initiative order right before Erdolliel, and giving it an action before she takes her next one). Does that make sense and/or do either of you know of (a) rule(s) that addresses it?

As for the swarm effectively eliminating invisibility, I believe that makes sense. The swarm literally has 0 reach, which means it must enter the square that the snake occupies. I believe it is safe to say that you can use that to "pinpoint" the square the snake is in. HOWEVER, I am disinclined to say that this would negate the snake's 50% concealment miss chance. See generally here regarding pinpointing and the concealment miss chance. Any thoughts on that?

Regarding Erdolliel's movement, I'm inclined to agree that she can go W, N, N, N, N, NE, but cannot make the final NE due to it being the second diagonal and squeezing.

I believe there is no concentration check actually needed unless something specifically happens that requires one. Otherwise, your concentration to maintain the spell is automatic (as long as you spend the standard action to continue concentrating). See anything that disrupts concentration while casting can disrupt maintaining concentration and list of things that force a concentration check.

Finally, while I will actually wait to make the "real" post, I will let you know (primarily so o3 can decide his action) that the swarm starts covering O right where O was before (i.e. O didn't move). But O passes the Fort save (13+) so it is not nauseated.

Did I miss anything?[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]I agree with everything. Just in case O3 gets confused by what I got confused by, Di is saying that the swarm appears right now and will act before Erdolliel gets her chance to move.

Oh and I think O totally still gets concealment, I read it explicitly somewhere in the swarm section or blindfighting or tremorsense or somewhere this morning.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]In hindsight, I see why Ti was confused. When I said
me said:
I believe the swarm appears right before your next turn.
the term "next" was meant to mean THIS turn right now. (It is sort of like how I get mad when people use the phrase "next weekend" when I think they mean "this weekend.") So... sorry about that. That was my fault, not Ti's. That was why I indicated the result of the snake's nauseated save already. The swarm will take its action right before Erdolliel makes her W, N, N, etc. move.[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
"This doesn't feel necessary." Kushnak says as he steps toward the partially visible creature.

[sblock=oc]

Kushnak 5' steps NE and attacks O.

+17/+12 2d6+8

Dodge on O.
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Erdolliel finishes casting her spell, and a swarm of spiders appears and quickly surrounds the invisible snake-like creature. The elf then darts through the other passage to the north.

Seeing the creature outlined by the spiders covering it, Kushnak steps forward and hacks into the creature. The half-orc connects with somewhat weak blow, but as the creature moves away from the swarm, Kushnak lands another strike.

After moving away, the snake suddenly becomes visible as it sends a small bead of fire at the swarm. The bead erupts into a burst of flame, which annihilates the spiders. Caught off guard, Kushnak's flesh is seared. Erdolliel is flabbergasted as flames whoosh into the tiny passage and burn into her flesh as well.

[sblock=OOC]Erdolliel: finishes casting
Swarm: appears; swarms O, 1 damage (I'm also thinking the swarm does not provoke an AoO, because it started on O, rather than having to move into O's square)
Erdolliel: concentrates; moves
Kushnak: steps; attacks O, 12+, miss chance 29, miss; attacks O, 11+, miss chance 57 hit, 13 damage
Snake: fort save (as noted before, but in hindsight, since K acted first, I don't recall why I thought I needed to mention it earlier); moves
Kushnak: AoO, 10+, miss chance 89, hit, 19 damage
Snake: fireball (It basically targets the same area where it used to be. I believe that, per the spread rules that Erdolliel is still within the effect.); Ref saves K-2+ fail, E-1! fail (I'm not bothering with the swarm, it is totally dead); 17 damage (it rolled very poorly); loses invisibility

Status & Init:
Kushnak: 17 damage
Snake: shield of faith; 33 damage
Erdolliel: 17 damage [/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Ti reminded me that it had taken damage earlier. To make it explicit, (before you started attacking it now) it didn't look like it was still injured at all. You'd surmise that it had healing of some kind while you were gone.

And, to further clarify (and since I have Ti's agreement via chat), wherever the snake targeted the fireball was close enough to Erdolliel to hit her. The snake, since it cannot see Erd now and did not see her when it moved, would have guessed that she was taking the passage that she, in fact, took. So it would have tried to get the fireball as far down that passage as it could, while still hitting Kushnak.[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]Well poop. I guess I didn't actually hit the Post button last night when I wrote my post all out. count correctly. Here goes attempt #2 #3 then...[/sblock]"That's funny, leaving this thing at our back doesn't feel necessary to me." Erdolliel comments as she moves to get a better angle on the snake.[sblock=oc]Erdolliel will move NE, E, SE, S (so she should be 10' N of Kushnak) She'll drop her bow in the main room and 'draw' a wand of MM CL5 and use it on O. 3d4+3.[/sblock]

Last edited:

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak scoffs at the advantageous position the creature takes, and casts a spell.

[sblock=oc]

Blindness on O DC 17

Dodge on O

If it's successful, move 15' SE, otherwise hold.
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
While snidely commenting to Kushnak, Erdolliel squeezes into the room and fires bolts of magic at the snake-like creature.

Kushnak feels magic tug at his mind as he looks at the creature, but the half-orc shrugs it off. Instead, he casts a spell of his own, and the creature's eyes suddenly stop functioning. Kushnak closes with the creature.

Hissing in rage, the creature utters words of power. Its form suddenly shifts, and the elf and half-orc can no longer tell, exactly, where the creature is.

[sblock=OOC]I THINK that Erdolliel needs to drop her bow before she moves so that she can draw the wand for "free" during her move. Not sure, though.

Erdolliel: moves; wands O, 9 damage
Kushnak: will save v. gaze 12+ success; casts blindness fort save 5+ fail; moves
Snake: cast defensively, concentration 5+ success, displacement

So... does a creature with a gaze attack lose it when it becomes blinded?

Status & Init:
Kushnak: 17 damage; dodge O
Snake: shield of faith; 42 damage; blinded; displacement
Erdolliel: 17 damage [/sblock]

Remove ads