• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part V(b)

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]

Sorry guys, went to my rents and was unplugged for a few days. Should have said something.

Ti meant cover not concealment i'm pretty sure. Cover lets you pick any square you'd like to 'check' for cover against. The NE corner of O relative to E' is cover free regardless of the formation 15' south of O.

Assuming that Kushnak sees Erd cast, he'll move next to her current position. Otherwise I don't think Kushnak has any action yet, so i'll just wait?

[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]While I'm open to being wrong, I'm pretty sure I meant concealment, because Erdolliel will try to use sneak attack on the creature if it loses its Dex bonus because it is being grappled. Although I maybe should, I don't exactly know how ranged sneak attacking into a grapple work because usually it's not worth it to try not hitting one of the grapplers. In this case however, it might matter more.

EDIT Looks like o3 has a good point. Does that thing provide cover? Does anything in the area provide concealment?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Erdolliel grabs for her spell pouch to pull out a piece of squid tentacle to use in her spell. Both Kushnak and the snake-like creature, however, see the elf's furtive movements and react even faster.
[sblock=OOC]Sorry guys. It's going to be like this for a couple of weeks. Damn murder trial.

So... While you might have guessed it before, the snake saw Erdolliel (she bombed her hide check). I think it is appropriate for initiative to be rolled as Erdolliel decides to take hostile action. If she'd been successfully hiding, she'd have gotten a surprise round, but I don't think she would get one now. Does that seem correct?

As for cover, right now the snake does have cover. Cover let's Erdolliel pick one of her corners, but it has to have a clear path to all of the snake's squares. I don't think there is such a corner. The rock formations here are floor to ceiling. ["To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC)."]

As for concealment, I really hate having to figure out light sources. I'm assuming that Erdolliel is carrying Nethezar's everburning morningstar, but maybe she's making Kushnak carry it. (Since she can't see in the dark.) Concealment might have matter if Erdolliel was still hidden, but you blew your hide check anyway, so I don't think we need to worry about where the light is. That okay? If Erdolliel wants to try to hide again during combat, we well need to figure this out.

Kushnak is first. I'll wait to actually let you decide what to do. I'm assuming that you are starting 30 to 40 feet "behind" Erdolliel. And yes, you see her fumbling for her spell component pouch, so you can surmise that she's attempting to cast at something.

Status & Init:
Kushnak (17)
Snake (13)
Erdolliel (8)[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]I'm fine with deciding to roll initiative. My logic was that if it wasn't doing anything she might get a spell off, but if it was waiting to see if she would be aggressive initiative would be warranted.

The conceal (and subsequent cover) question(s) were based not on where she is now, but where Erdolliel would have been if she got the jump on the creature. it has cover from where she is now based for all 4 of her corners I think. (and I get the rules for cover (finally?) it's just concealment that I have confusion issues with and in this very specific instance, I didn't know how much of that square the stala**ite might cover, therefore leading me to ask for the DM's interpretation of the map.) However, since she is unlikely to do the same action, the point is probably moot.

I'll wait until it's Erd's turn to decide to hide or cast or move or whatever.

Finally, WHEW!! you'll be loopy for a couple weeks, I wont' feel so bad for not checking much this next week.[/sblock]

Last edited:

o3caudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]
Hope the easter/passover time was good for people.

Only note on the cover thing is that, for larger than medium creatures, you can choose the most advantageous 5' square(doesn't matter from E, will/would from E')

[/sblock]

Kushnak moves into the room near Erdolliel to evaluate the situation.

[sblock=oc]
Maybe 5' E of her?

Maybe 5' SE if not?
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Kushnak quickly moves between Erdolliel and whatever it is that she was ready to attack. The half-orc sees the same snake-like creature.

As it did before, the creature casts a familiar spell and suddenly winks out of sight.

[sblock=OOC]The trial is over. So maybe life will get more back to normal...

Kushnak: moves (I think moving there is fine, but you'd have to "squeeze" to go further that way; I won't count you as "squeezing" now)
Snake: invisibility; maybe moves after, but neither of you hear anything (the map marks where it was)

Status & Init:
Kushnak
Snake: invisible
Erdolliel[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel begins to murmur a spell.[sblock=oc]So my intent is to summon a swarm of rats. Right now I would like for Erdolliel to target the square 5' north of where O is on the map (aka at the entrance to that backwards tunnel) but since Summon Swarm is a full round action, she will formerly decide when the spell comes into effect right before her next action. (so, if we get a good idea of where the snake thing is by then she'll change her mind.)[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak forces himself closer and waits for a sign of the creature.

[sblock=oc]

Move (squeeze) through the passage, just to the other side. 5' NE

Ready to (try to) attack the snake if it attacks(or takes any generally hostile action, like trying to drown me or something.

[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
While Erdolliel begins casting a spell, Kushnak forces his way between the rock wall to get closer to the possible action.

From the same spot it was before, Erdolliel and Kushnak hear the snake-like creature hiss in the words of magic, and the elf is able to make out the words of a spell of protection. Though both elf and half-orc strain to hear if the creature moves after casting the spell, neither of them hear anything.

[sblock=OOC]Erdolliel: begins casting summon swarm
Kushnak: moves; readies
Snake: casts a spell (Erdolliel knows it is shield of faith but Kushnak doesn't; snake maybe moves... I already made listen checks for you both (so, no need to do so on your turn); either you both completely failed, or it didn't move; the map still marks where it was

Status & Init:
Kushnak
Snake: invisible
Erdolliel [/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel finishes casting her spell and spiders are suddenly crawling all over the area the creature used to be. "Shield of Faith, it'll be harder to hit now." She calls as she moves around the back way.[sblock=oc]Spider Swarm overlaying the spot where we last knew O to be. If O is still there, I think that the swarm should outline it and therefore make it easier for us to see. I can't remember if the swarm works on Erdolliel's turn or the Monster turn, but they'll work to surround the nearest living creature and bite the hell outta it. Two traits I want to point out right away are that the swarm has tremorsense and that if O fails a DC 11 fort save it'll be nauseated for 1 round. Oh and the spiders have poison too 1d3 Str on another DC11 fort save.

Erdolliel will move up the back tunnel. W, N (Cuz I don't think she can just go NW), N, N, N, NE, NE. I think that just the last move will be a squeeze (actually she won't be able to go the last NE if it is a squeeze), but if I'm wrong, she'll just go as far as she can.

Concentration check +13 (Do I make a check if there is no damage?)[/sblock]

Remove ads