• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan had a light in her eye... "We still need to capture that commander." <THUD> "I'm thinking we throw open the door when the rest get back while the other patrol is going around the south. If Carad can throw up the smoke illusion, Venn can make booming sounds so it sounds like the ram is still going."

OOC: ...and that's Morgan's plan in a nutshell. The rest of the team gets back inside, we close the back door most of the way, Carad casts silent image of the smoke and Venn uses prestidigitation every other round or so to mimic the sound of the ram. If we can kill all of them quickly and capture the commander, we dash south out the back as the patrol is going around the west side of the building. By the time they get to the front, we'll be in the ravine with the civilians. At least, that's how it works in my head.

If we're concerned about the townsfolk, Carad could actually stay with them and concentrate on the smoke illusion from the ravine, but I don't want to sideline Kuey for an entire battle.

kuey1975

First Post
OOC: I think it's fine for Carad to remain outside. My thought is that Venn and Jeni quickly get inside (two rounds worth of dash sufficient?) and close the door. Carad needs to see the door from outside to create the illusion anyway. So, while hiding behind the low wall, he would cast the Silent Image of the smoke (concentration, 10 min). Then 2nd round to cast Minor Illusion to create the ramming noise, alternating with noises simulating the cultists and kobolds who were at the door earlier (no conc, 1 min). That leaves Venn's action to do the dashing. :) If all goes well, Carad can move to the north in stealth and once the party attacks the north group, he can pelt them from behind with arrows and alternating with hide (bonus action), although he might be a couple of rounds late though. Scree can then keep watch at the south and warn if the roving party seems to have noticed something and change their plan. This way, if the roving party seems to have notice the refugees in the ravine, or see through the illusion and start to come through the southern door, Carad can shift his attack to them and try drawing them away. What do you think?

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: I'm fine with that, although the minor illusion part might be challenging. I think it has a range of 30 feet or something. So having it originate from the vicinity of the door might be challenging unless you're inside with the rest of the squad. Not sure what we'll do about that, I was thinking Venn had Minor Illusion, but he has Prestidigitation instead. We'll just see what comes to pass.

Are we okay with leaving the townsfolk to defend themselves in case they attract attention? I don't think we really have much choice.

Morgan gritted her teeth and looked over her shoulder, hoping to see the rest of the Black Tide and Jeni returning. There was little chance this door was going to hold much longer.

kuey1975

First Post
OOC: Thanks, forgot about that. I think once Carad casts the spell, he doesn't need to stay within 30 ft but with the duration of only 1 minute, it would be tricky to keep running back and forth to recast the spell. I think we might have to take the risk of leaving the townfolk for a while, if the rest are fine. We could leave Scree with the townsfolk, with instructions to lead them back to the tunnel if necessary. Probably not good to split the party. :)

kuey1975

First Post
Summoning his familiar, Carad turned to Eadyan and said, "Keep everyone here and stay silent. We'll be back once we secure our rear. But if anything happens, follow Scree," as he pointed to his owl. "He'll bring you safely to the keep." Turning to Scree, he commanded, "Keep a lookout. If they appear to be in danger, let me know immdiately."

Turning to Venn and Jeni, he beckoned, "Come, we promised our commander we would return." With that, he sprinted back to the temple. Once he was through, he started summoning the fey forces to create the image of billowing smoke clouds at the door, significantly augmenting the existing ones. Once that was done and his teammates had entered the temple, he shut and barred the door. He then summoned his magic again to create the sounds of the chattering of the kobolds and cultists who were just at that spot minutes ago.

OOC: Silent Image to create the smoke illusion, Minor Illusion to create the sounds of the kobolds and cultists. Carad would stay at the back of the temple, listening through the door - Perception [roll0]

@hafrogman, in that one-two minutes leading the townsfolk to the ravine, would Carad have enough time to eat the 7 goodberries?

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
OOC: Alright this door is holding out ridiculously well. So yeah, anyone who has berries can eat them. Everyone go ahead and roll initiative and for those of you on the inside, let me know where you want to be. Inside the temple is an alter and grey and a few pews which can provide half cover.

Attachments

• map1.png
    map1.png
    18 KB · Views: 235

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: If we threw the door open between rams rather than let them break it down, could we get surprise? Morgan would position herself close to the door, hoping to draw some of them in while hoping for some cover against the ranged attacks.

Initiative: [roll0]

"Alright, Tide, it's killing time! Better them than us." Morgan barked.

kuey1975

First Post
OOC: Initiative [roll0]
Carad is standing next to the back door, so I think that is O16? So half cover from the altar? Anyway, he hides behind it.
Stealth [roll]1d20+7 [/roll]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads