• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ic] nameless III: lost and found

Seonaid

Explorer
Garival listens to the others and is about to agree with the plan to invite the mysterious "JG" to their camp, when Fredar continues. He shudders in response. "I don't know enough about these dogs to risk it. I don't think we should assume anything about them. For all we know, the clapping will cause us to blink like they do." He shudders again.

khavren

First Post
Fenix ponders for a bit, then replies "I don't think any of my little tricks would let me know what they were thinking. My spirit hounds are just good for fighting. I like the idea of inviting him out to us instead tho. It's still polite and possibly usefal, and no matter what should get us more information. Without information we're just fumbling blind in the dark hoping it's not a cliff next to us."

DrZombie

First Post
With a bit of charcoal nate scribbles on the back of the note.

"Dear JG.
Please feel free to join us tonight at our campfire. There are many stories told about the deep woods, and few of them pleasant. While we do not doubt your good intent, we are very hesitant to enter such a dangerous place."

He walks towards the dogs and puts it down.

doghead

thotd
A parting and a change.

The dogs seem to recognise your intentions. When the note is slipped back into the scroll case, one of the animals approaches, but it doesn't comes close enough for you to pass the scroll case back to him. He stares at the scroll holder for a moment, and barks until the scroll case is deposited on the ground and whoever bore it steps back.

The dog moves in to collect it. But the wary look doesn't leave his eyes until he has it in his mouth, and is away. In the blink of an eye. The dog with the scroll case reappears about 40 feet way. It watches you for a minute while the other animals gather around it. Then together they dissappear from sight.

They don't return, and aren't seen again.

The four of you turn back in the direction you were heading and continue walking.

The rest of the day is fairly uneventful. Garival can't shake the feeling that the weather is threatening ... something. But he can't work out what. Perhaps the weather itself doesn't know yet, he concludes.

No one appears that night. It seems JG didn't want, or wasn't able, to accept your invitation.

The storm arrrives in the small hours of the morning a few hours before dawn. It begins with a charged stillness in the air. Its not long, however, before the stars begin the disappear and the air stirs again. A short lime later it is starting to tug at your hair and loose clothing. Rain follows shortly. Its not yet a downpore, but the drops of water are fat and heavy.

A bolt of lightning rends the night sky.

DrZombie

First Post
"Bugger"

Nate says dryly. He takes of his metal armour quickly, wraps it in oiled leather, and stows it away. He wraps his cloak around him, and tries to keep as dry as possible.

Seonaid

Explorer
Garival shrugs and studies the sky. [Does the storm look natural?] "Looks like we'll be getting wet, gentlemen." He'll make appropriate rain preparations before returning to sleep or watch.

doghead

thotd
A good day to be home in front of a roaring fire

Garival glances at the others to see if they are OK. Fenix has moved out into the open, and Garival suggests that he get under shelter. Nate and fredar seem sorted enough.

The temperature drops rapidly and the storm picks up in sound and fury over the next hour. The wind begins to tug and pull at your blankets and cloaks. The rain thumps down, blown sideways by the strength of the wind. The trees that you have camped under are ineffective as shelter against such weather. It blows under the shelter of the canopy. It drips down through it. Your clothes and blankets are soon soaked by the downpour, and you can feel it beginning to sap the heat from your body. Soon , Fenix and Fredar are beginning to shiver.

Its less than an hour from dawn and there is no sign of an lightening of the sky. Indeed, you can see less now than you could at midnight as the rain steadily closes down the horizon as it worsens. Except for when the occasional bolts of lightly briefly illuminate everything in a momentary harsh white parody of daylight.

ooc: The wind is blowing in from the north. You are camped in among a small copse of trees. Fenix and Fredar lose 2 two non-lethal life pips.

DrZombie

First Post
Nate looks at the two shivering lads.

"huddle up, guys. Lets try and keep warm."

He tries to make a bit of a shelter with the backpacks and a few blankets, and insists that everyonr lies close together , to keep each other warm.
(did we have pack animals?, if so I'll let them lay down and let fenix and fredar ly next to them)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads