IC The Thirteenth Moon: Night of the Blood Moon

kinem

Adventurer
The district of Foundation is solid and unremarkable, filled with low-income housing for the people who work the Cogs and the caravan districts of Terminus and Wroann’s Gate. There is nary a tavern in sight, only apartments and tenements. However asking around does glean some information. A woman with a bag around her shoulders and a foul odor about her eyes you with a wide, mostly toothless grin as you ask about the dwarf. "Aye, and I can tell ya where to find him too... but if you're so interested, seems the information is worth somethin' to ya." The woman demands five gold galifars before she'll tell you where to find the dwarf.[sblock=Diplomacy DC 15, Intimidate DC 12, or pay 5 gp]"Alright, I can tell ya. He's down in the Harpy Tenements right now. Must have seen him there not 5 minutes ago. He's been wandering around this district ever since the events last night peddling his Apocalypse insurance."[/sblock]

It wasn't so long ago that Brad was on the other side of the law, shaking down shopkeepers for protection money. Though not proud of it, sometimes projecting a menacing demeanor still comes in handy. It doesn't hurt that his scale mail's dents and scratches attest that he's seen combat, or that he always carries his greatsword when on duty. He approaches to within five feet of the old woman.

"If you don't tell me where he is, someone's going to have a really bad day. It won't be me." He neglects to mention that it will be the dwarf he seeks.

It's too much for the old woman so she spills the beans.

Brad heads down to the Harpy Tenements, on the lookout for the dressy dwarf as well as any signs of trouble.

ooc: Spent 1 skill point on Intimidate and 1 (half rank) on Gather Info.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Brad confronts the dwarf grifter.

And by the way, everyone feel free to follow along with the activities of others. I assume the stories will be told over drinks later at some point so this allows us to forgo the details of individual escapades. (Although I wouldn't stop you if you want to role-play them anyway.) :)
Brad doesn't have to poke around Harpy Tenements for long before he sees a dwarf in a flashy red suit with a frilled white cravat that complements his neatly trimmed beard well. He is going door to door, mostly getting no response or being turned quickly away, but he is a good salesman. Brad catches the tail-end of his spiel: "Blood Moon in the sky! Cultists of Blood wandering the streets! House Kundarak can keep you safe with 100% coverage for your family and possessions. For a mere down-payment of 10 coppers you can receive full coverage starting today. House Kundarak will reimburse you for any and all property damage as a result of cataclysmic events and a life insurance policy is included which covers all funeral costs. If really is a fantastic deal. When the end of the world comes, you want to be protected and my house can guarantee that."

The dwarf seems mostly oblivious to Brad's presence, clearly an amateur (that or he is overconfident).[sblock=Good cop approach; Diplomacy base DC 21; may be modified by risk vs. reward]"Ok, well if you promise they'll go easy on me, I'll cooperate. I don't want to cause any trouble. You think you might just let me off with a warning though? I promise I'll never do it again!"[sblock=Sense Motive DC 20]You get a hunch the dwarf is only acting repentant because he got caught.[/sblock][sblock=Forgery DC 12]The identification papers he is carrying that identify him with House Kundarak are clearly cheap forgeries.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Diplomacy Failure by 5 or more]"Wait, you're a guard! You'll never catch me!" The dwarf sprints off down the narrow alleyways.[sblock=Dexterity check DC 7 to catch him]"Ack! Alright, alright! I'll cooperate. Just don't hurt me please!" You shackle the dwarf and haul him back to the Black Arch Garrison for processing.[sblock=Forgery DC 12]The identification papers he is carrying that identify him with House Kundarak are clearly cheap forgeries.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Bad cop approach; Intimidate base DC 21; may be modified by risk vs. reward]"Ack! Alright, alright! I'll cooperate. Just don't hurt me please!" You shackle the dwarf and haul him back to the Black Arch Garrison for processing.[sblock=Forgery DC 12]The identification papers he is carrying that identify him with House Kundarak are clearly cheap forgeries.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Intimidate Failure by 5 or more]"Wait, you're a guard! You'll never catch me!" The dwarf sprints off down the narrow alleyways.[sblock=Dexterity check DC 7 to catch him]"Ack! Alright, alright! I'll cooperate. Just don't hurt me please!" You shackle the dwarf and haul him back to the Black Arch Garrison for processing.[sblock=Forgery DC 12]The identification papers he is carrying that identify him with House Kundarak are clearly cheap forgeries.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Brad approaches the dwarf. "You're under arrest for fraud. You'd better come along quietly, if you know what's good for you."

The dwarf takes off before Brad can grab him. Brad tries to pursue; unfortunately, his scale mail slows him down to a dwarf-like pace.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Unfortunately, it seems the dwarf knows the back alleys of Foundation better than Brad and he loses sight of him as he steps back out onto a road crowded with pedestrians. The good news is the dwarf looked pretty spooked and probably won't be back again for a while, at least not to the Foundation District.

As Brad is catching his breath, he notices the same haggard old woman nearby. "Didn't catch 'im eh? He's a sly one. Been keeping our eye on 'im, we have. No matter. I'm certain he's findin' 'imself a cozy quiet pipe to be thrown down in the Cogs as we speak. I don't think he'll be a bother for us anymore. Now as for you..." she steps forward, the sack she was carrying and her limp which Brad previously noted being gone. He also spies a conspicuous pair of figures in dark cloaks approaching from behind. They each have an arm hidden within their cloaks; it does not take a genius to guess they are concealing daggers or possibly shortswords underneath.

"As for you," the woman continues, "you had best be on your way. I don't think the people of this district like being harassed by your kind. The Black Arch isn't welcome here. WE are the law here and we do not take kindly to being threatened, least of all by the likes of you. You tell your Commander that. Now, off with you!"[sblock=Sense Motive DC 10]Brad is clearly outnumbered and probably outmatched.[sblock=Sense Motive DC 16]The figures behind Brad step lightly and move with agility through the crowd. They are skilled rogues and one alone would constitute a tough challenge to Brad, let alone two, and that is nothing to say for the woman.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Spot DC 10]There are no other Black Arch guards within sight.[sblock=Spot DC 15]The two figures and the old woman are not the only ones paying close attention to what is going on. There is also a man by a parked sausage wagon who is keeping a keen eye on what is going on. There may even be others...[/sblock][/sblock]
OOC: Brad receives 25 xp for effort, and he can roll a Profession check for his day's work. Sometimes the bad guys get away.
[sblock=Plot Hooks]Party: Speak to Denion at The Crystals of Denion about his missing daughter.

Party: Find and speak with Beige at the House Phiarlan enclave.

Dorius Mini Hook: Speak to Mandyran about the rumor.

Vigil Mini Hook: Find Brother Wayden at the Cathedral of the Cleansing Flame. (active)

Berrent Mini Hook: Visit the Rat's Market and press the goblin Skaken for information on the Cults of the Dragon Below.

Brad Mini Hook: Find the dwarf grifter in Foundation before the Tyrants do. (resolved)

Alise Mini Hook: Seek Hanamelk at The Gathering Light for his counsel and meditation. (active)[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Seeing that he's outnumbered, and with nothing more he can accomplish here today, Brad walks away without comment.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: I wanted to mention that you can still pursue party plot hooks as a group while the mini hooks are being played out. So if the group is ready to meet with Beige or investigate the missing girl, we can begin one of those. The mini hooks are short, usually should not take up resources, and take place during free time. So we can do mini hooks and main plot hooks simultaneously. Just be sure to note which story you are posting about if your character is doing a mini hook at the same time as the main story.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
"Welcome back, my child," Hanamelk says, bowing to her as a teacher does to a pupil. It takes a moment but Alise remembers to bow back in deference, as is the kalashtar way. "Your thoughts are known to me. I have sensed the distress you experienced last night even across the boundaries of this city. And the celestial event of last night is known to all. I can see this picture disturbs you. It should. It is an ancient scroll carried by my brother-ancestors to these shores which tells of a battle between the Quori and the Giants, one in which an artifact known as the Moonbreaker was used to banish the Quori back to the Region of Dreams. It is a harrowing tale. But that is a story for another time."

"I have need of your special skills. A student of mine has refused to come to The Gathering Light today. He resides just a few towers away in Highwater in one of the poorer tenements there. He is an elf by the name of Quarion. I believe he fears going out into the street for his life, as there are many wicked rumors surfacing about a part that elves may have played in the bringing of the Blood Moon; it is of course ignorance and foolishness. Please convince him of the error of his ways and persuade him to come to The Gathering Light that he might assist me in studying this phenomenon. I have use of his particular talents, but I am too busy to be drawn away from my work myself. I believe you will find this a most fulfilling task that will aid your soul in its pursuit of enlightenment."

Hanamelk provides you with Quarion's address and then leaves you to continue his work.

Alise begins to speak about the things she saw and how much it's troubling her, not the moon so much as the violence she found herself in afterwards, but Hanamelk leaves the room. Leaving her feel just as alone as before. Alise is very welcoming of the instruction she has received at the school here but often finds Adarans to be emotionally cold. She never thought she would find herself wrapped up in violence or deputized, but at the same time she didn't regret her actions. Someone had to help that poor elf.

After walking out of the hall, her stomach growls, and she realizes that she had walked the width and height of this city twice this morn and has not eaten since the night before. It was drawing closer to high noon now and she felt at the silver coins in her purse. She ponders for a moment trying to find Hilatashka the restaurant the other students speak highly of but doubts she could find it without their help. Spying the red bricks of the neighboring district she knew she could find some food there.

Walking thru the shops and markets of the Redstone district she longed for the fabrics and dresses found there. But knew she would need to save the money, "Growing up is so hard." She found a shop keeper with fresh food that smelled good and purchased a piece of crusty flat bread and some smoked fish for a few copper. She made her way into adjacent building winding her way up a spiral staircase and out a door she found herself on a bridge passing to the neighboring temple district.
This district of Hope’s Peak was alive this morning, people of all faiths praying and seeking guidance after the appearance of the 13th moon. The smell of incense hung in the air and the sounds of prayers. Alise made straight for the Citadel of the Sun. The golden colored temple shined in the sun as parishioners ran about excitedly praying for peace or preparing to make the best for themselves in the war of the blood moon they saw coming.
Alise waited her turn and knelt at the shrine. “My Lady, Dol Arrah, I do not know what I have taken part of here, but I can only hope that I am doing your work. I ask for your blessing in my actions and ask that you send me a sign to let me know I’m doing the right thing. Bless you”
She finished her prayer and left the temple heading straight to the Highwater district and the address provided for Quarion. She knocked on the door.

FloatingDisc

First Post
OOC:
[sblock] So can Dorius have written his article in the morning that everyone is out and about investigating? Should I make some sort of check to see how good his article is? (I don't have time to write one IRL, unfortunately :().

I basically want Dorius to spend the morning writing up his article, then go post the article to Korranberg via House Sivis. After that, he will return to the inn to ask Mandyran about the rumour. [/sblock]

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Berrent, Human Rogue

After stopping in to see Karr'Aashta's Investigations, Berrent heads down into the Cogs. As he descends lower and lower it becomes clear he doesn't belong. His clothes aren't extravagant but they aren't covered in patched holes from a life a physical labor. He's a little too clean and stands a little too straight and non-threateningly. He is, if you look closely enough, a little nervous.

He eventually finds the Rat's Market and begins looking around for a goblin selling garbage.

Later he returns to the Golden Horn. He goes straight to the bar and orders a shot that he quickly knocks back. After a couple of deep breaths he turns to whichever party members are present. "I'm glad you made it," he says. "Once everyone's here we can head out for the House Phiarlan enclave to talk to Beige." While they're waiting he starts talking about what he learned earlier in the day. "So it seems the owner of The Crystals of Denion magic emporium, up in Upper Tavick's Landing, lost his daughter. She's grown up, or at least grown up enough to go to parties on her own. And that's the problem, see. She went to a party last night and never came back. What with how busy the Watch must be after all the mayhem last night, Mr. Denion may be looking for help finding his daughter."

[sblock="Skill Points"]One skill point on Search and one on Sense Motive.[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Alise begins to speak about the things she saw and how much it's troubling her, not the moon so much as the violence she found herself in afterwards, but Hanamelk leaves the room.

She finished her prayer and left the temple heading straight to the Highwater district and the address provided for Quarion. She knocked on the door.
OOC: Excellent roleplaying post! 25 XP for Alise.

Note: if you have a run of bad luck with rolls, you can always go for roleplaying. Or you can try to improve the risk vs. reward judgment by offering him something. Whether you use Diplomacy or Intimidate is up to you; it should influence the way you roleplay the situation though. There may be other ways to approach the situation as well. Remember the spoiler blocks are only a possibility.
The door opens just a crack. Alise can see the narrow profile of an elf male inside. There is just enough light to reflect the deep green in his eyes.

"Wh...who's there?" a stuttering voice comes from behind the door. "If Hanamelk sent you, tell him I'm n...not coming in today. T...t...t...too dangerous."[sblock=Convince him you are a friend, Diplomacy/Intimidate DC 15 or charm person DC 16]The elf opens the door a bit more. You can see his face calms a bit. "I s...s...suppose you can come in."

The elf's flat is an absolute mess. Dirty dishes are stacked on a counter. Old laundry is piled on the floor. There is a straw mat in the corner with what looks like mold growing in the corner. The elf does appear to have a collection of scrolls on a shelf however, and they appear well-used. Several of these are on the floor as well. He may be well-learned.

"I am sorry, I am not a very good host. I d...d...don't have time for t...t...tidying up much. I really cannot come to see Hanamelk today though. As I said, t...t...too dangerous."[sblock=Ask why it is dangerous; Diplomacy/Intimidate DC 20 or Charisma check (with successful charm person) DC 10)]"Okay, the truth is... I am one of the dragonmarked. But not in a good way. I could never join H...H...House Phiarlan or House Thuranni with my mark. It is a...a...aberrant. If my secret is discovered, I will be run out of town. The assassins of House Thuranni will hunt me d...d...down!"[sblock=Arcana DC 5 (untrained possible)]Dragonmarks are magical marks that appear on the skin and grant powers to their bearers.[sblock=Arcana DC 10 (untrained possible)]Dragonmarks are tied to specific bloodlines. The people bearing these dragonmarks joined together to create houses, which use the powers of the mark for economic gain. Some marks are unassociated with houses however, and are generally considered a product of mixed blood. These are known as aberrant dragomarks.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Convince him he will be safe; Diplomacy/Intimidate 25 or Charisma (with successful charm person) DC 15]"Well, I suppose you make a good point." The elf is ponderous for a moment and seems to have a renewed spirit.

"Very well, you've convinced me. I will go to Hanamelk. There is no use hiding here all day. I have to come out some time."[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

Remove ads