D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Infiltrators)

tglassy

Adventurer
Terrus looked back towards the rocks from before (not sure if he can see them) and wondered if he was right to dismiss them so.

OOC: Not sure if this will help if it's too late, but perception nonetheless: [roll0]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The rocks by the road made him feel uneasy, but the mountain itself, now that he was so near, seemed to buzz in his head. It was only by will, and practised mental exercises, that he could concentrate at all.

"You okay, man?" asked Kelley, seeing the growing unease in the man on the back of the wagon, who he had only met less than an hour before.

GM: I seem to recall that Terrus doesn't know Arcana, right? Roll Intelligence with proficiency either way.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
SnorLoska nods when Mord calls out. "Feed the Beast... they like it, don't they?" SnorLoska smiles wryly. "Well, soon I'm going to feed them my knuckle sandwich... they'll like that!"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: All of the Genasi know Arcana.
OOC:

OOC: I thought they ought to.

After thinking about it for a short while, Terrus realised what had been bothering him. The signs were all there - the way the rock wrapped around the Watchtower and the Gate, similar to a lava flow, but there was no volcano.

The spires seemed to "grow" - so high that they "shed" rocks, which were littered across the road. The whole peak was made from a strange black rock which was incongruous with all the other rock of the area:

There was a very powerful elemental node here. He could feel it. It almost spoke to him.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Argyle awoke to the sound of shouting outside. He'd been sleeping a lot lately, when he probably shouldn't be. Must be age getting to you, he thought to himself. He stretched, scratched himself, and called down through the murder-hole next to the straw pallet he'd been sleeping on, "Hold your horses. We're getting to it."

An initiate's face appeared at the top of the ladder to the space above the gate. Argyle nodded to him. "Open it up, so these mercenaries can 'feed the beast' as they like to say - feed him our horde, they'd like." The initiate nodded and climbed back down the ladder. Dumb kid, thought Argyle, they get dumber all the time. Not like in my day. Just me and Silakul left, now there's a man with vision.

There was a rumbling noise, as the initiate and two others, at least as dumb, wound the large winch and the heavy gates slowly opened. Argyle slid down the ladder with a grace that belied his age, and he stepped out into the dark night to meet the arriving mercenaries. Or so he thought.

"Rowloe, I presume?" he said to the shadowy figure riding shotgun in the wagon, "They told me you'd be coming before dark."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"I am Argyle, your humble gatekeeper and I expect a bribe for your safe passage this evening."

Argyle was old-school Dragon Cult: His face had a dragon-skull tattoo, head shaven (though he had let grey stubble grow), his ears and nose had bone piercings (he probably called them dragon bones, whether they were or not). His bone-coloured robe was bordered in royal purple, and a dark green, symbolising the majesty and colour of the dragon he served.

Mord couldn't tell if he was kidding. Argyle stood calmly looking at him, with piercing green eyes, sizing him up. Behind Argyle, in the wide hall under the gate, three acolytes shuffled their feet and appeared nervous, as if they hadn't expected their commander to challenge the arrivals in any way, but weren't really surprised.

GM: Mord is going to need to make a Deception contest against Argyle's Insight of [roll0]. He doesn't know Rowloe, but he's sizing Mord up. If you fail, that doesn't mean the jig is up, but he may be suspicious and cause some trouble (I'll let you know based on the roll), just give me some dialogue to work with. BTW, Dude is Crazy.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: In case things go south, feel free to post Initiative Rolls the next time you post. I'm trying to get in the habit of having init on hand ahead of time.

Remove ads