D&D 5E Icewind Dale Preview: The Panopticon

A tidbit from the upcoming book from Chris Perkins -- "The Panopticon of Revel’s End, where the Lords’ Alliance keeps its most dangerous criminals. More info on this maximum security prison can be found in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden."
A tidbit from the upcoming book from Chris Perkins -- "The Panopticon of Revel’s End, where the Lords’ Alliance keeps its most dangerous criminals. More info on this maximum security prison can be found in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden."

Efp1fiHUwAEWvTl.jpg

Yeah, I can't imagine how distressing an actual prison panopticon would be. Think of it as having a camera in your room, pointed at you at all times, and never knowing whether it was really on or not.

But this, this looks like an awesome place for an adventure.

Real life prisons - awful and terrible.
Fantasy prisons that are "impregnable" and "unescapable" are awesome and terrific.

MarkB

Legend
This was educational. I always associated the term Panopticon with Doctor Who, where it is the name of the central council chamber / auditorium of the Time Lords on Gallifrey. Today is the first time I've actually looked up its proper definition.

dave2008

Legend
This was educational. I always associated the term Panopticon with Doctor Who, where it is the name of the central council chamber / auditorium of the Time Lords on Gallifrey. Today is the first time I've actually looked up its proper definition.
I've, unfortunately, been involved in some RL prison designs (I'm an architect) and some designs still follow the mindset of the panopticon, if not replicating it precisely.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Ditto. My first thought upon reading the announcement was, "Somebody on the writing team's a Doctor Who fan." And while that may well be the case (I'm sure there's a lot of overlap between Whovians and gamers) the term's being used as originally intended. I learned something new today.

Johnathan

Weiley31

Legend
Despite my personal only opinion that the name "Panopticon" sounds a bit "dull" by DND naming conventions, I still like the idea of a Maximum Sentence type dungeon/prison. Also this is 5E so so simple naming conventions are to be expected.

Remove ads

Remove ads