Iconic Monster Use - The Displacer Beast

How often are Displacer Beasts encountered in your experience?

• 0 times ever

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • 1-2 times ever

Votes: 66 26.8%
  • 3-4 times ever

Votes: 48 19.5%
  • 5-6 times ever

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • 7-8 times ever

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • 9-10 times ever

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • 11-12 times ever

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • 13-14 times ever

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 15-16 times ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 16 times in my time playing D&D

Votes: 40 16.3%

Ambrus

Explorer
In over fifteen years of playing and DMing I can't recall ever facing or running one. There are many "classic" D&D monsters for which I'm at a loss to understand their position as "fan favorites". Sometimes I suspect that the game designers just keep updating them lovingly from one edition to the next because they themselves remember them fondly; but which the rest of us simply consider one more random (and oftentimes uninteresting) monster from the manual. Likewise I don't understand the fascination with beholders, githzerai or githyanki. :\

Glyfair

Explorer
Ambrus said:
Likewise I don't understand the fascination with beholders, githzerai or githyanki. :\

Beholders have always seemed cool to me in theory. In practice they seem to have always been underwhelming (based on second-hand comments).

Githzerai and Githyanki I never felt any attraction towards until the Dragon/Dungeon "Incursion" storyline.

Wombat said:
I vaguely justified one once; never again.

I dislike most ethereal and extra-planar creatures as presented in D&D.

What does this have to do with Displacer Beasts, who aren't ethereal or extra-planar?

Hussar

Legend
See, thing is, I've been playing for a couple of decades or so as well. And I can only recall using them a handful of times. Or seeing them.

If it skews, so be it. From where I'm standing right now, it looks like the Displacer Beast isn't getting used all that much.

sjmiller

Explorer
Since 1979 I have encountered or ran encounters with Displacer Beasts more than 16 times. heck, we had a displacer beast encounter last year, and expect one this year too. Oh, wait, I guess it is a good thing my players do not read this site, or the surprise would be ruined. ;)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I don't think that I've used displacer beasts more than once or twice over the years. I quite like them as a concept - they've just never cropped up very often for some reason.

Woas

First Post
Ambrus said:
In over fifteen years of playing and DMing I can't recall ever facing or running one. There are many "classic" D&D monsters for which I'm at a loss to understand their position as "fan favorites". Sometimes I suspect that the game designers just keep updating them lovingly from one edition to the next because they themselves remember them fondly; but which the rest of us simply consider one more random (and oftentimes uninteresting) monster from the manual. Likewise I don't understand the fascination with beholders, githzerai or githyanki. :\

I feel the same way. Even more so because instead of 15 years of gaming, I only have about half that (about 6 now I'd guess). So a lot of these "iconics" have no real history to me or my players and are just too alien.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mark Hope said:
I don't think that I've used displacer beasts more than once or twice over the years. I quite like them as a concept - they've just never cropped up very often for some reason.

I wonder if its style of gaming. I've used them periodically, but almost always as a wandering monster type encounter. I don't see them cropping up very often otherwise. Maybe games that shy away from the wandering monster type encounters don't see them very often.

Remove ads